How do they do this................

BW's suggestion is excellent as I have found many here at p.net to be helpful.

However, for quick answer, many possibilities lie in PhotoShop in the "Filter" tab allowing your apply artistic qualities to images. Quick example below. Using these in layers does offer quite a selection of choices.

Of course one can deviate so far, a nice photograph can be lost in excessive post. . .or not.<div>00RUPk-88426084.jpg.9336c39ceb491c359c881e9102ae8340.jpg</div>

To be quite down-to-earth, the images in question are high contrast, and you would ordinarily get them by manipulating the Levels or Curves controls in Photoshop, so that the darkest tones in the original scene are black (or very dark gray), and the lighter grays turn white. There was probably a bit of judicious whitening out with, of all things, a white paintbrush. You'll also note selective color in the eyes, which was done by masking them and eliminating color from the rest of the print with Image->Adjustments->Desaturate.<p>David is correct in asserting that Photoshop filters can add contrast to the original image, but you'll notice that his adjustment gives a sketchlike look to some of the middle grays, notably on the hands, which is absent in Katherine's pictures.

Charles' furtherance of my post is excellent. In PS, there are many ways to get to the top of the mountain. Actually, the filters in PS via: "Filter, Artistic, etc." can offer many choices for a simpler way to achieve affect with a variety of tools intended to take an image with art characteristics. There are many options for you. The second image I posted, I only added a paint brush filter and did nothing with the contrast just to clarify. I simply used "Filter", "Brush Strokes", "Angled Strokes" and adjusted the parameters to my liking. It was not meant to mimic the cat images, but rather let you know the many options in PS.

However, if you want the full effect working in layers adjusting levels, curves, contrast, saturation, etc. as well as applying filters will get you a far better result.

If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, you might look at various tutorials on the web per using PS for advanced imaging editing free on the internet.

There are also some great plug-ins here http://www.thepluginsite.com/resources/freeps.htm.

Good question.

Good luck.