please help review article on P-TTL flash options

matthew miller

<p>I'm writing a Google Knol on <a

href="http://knol.google.com/k/matthew-miller/pentax-p-ttl-hotshoe-flash-options/3jwk7bitq8i8/1#view">Pentax

P-TTL hotshoe flash options</a>. The idea is to be a survey of available P-TTL flashes and comparison of their

features. (And specifically avoiding discussion of P-TTL techniques or debate of P-TTL vs. other modes.)</p>

<p>Could those of you with some expertise in this area give the article a quick review? I don't actually own all

of these flashes, so I'd particularly appreciate feedback from people who do. And of course I'd appreciate

correction of any errors.</p>

<p><a

href="http://knol.google.com/k/matthew-miller/pentax-p-ttl-hotshoe-flash-options/3jwk7bitq8i8/1#view">http://knol.google.com/k/matthew-miller/pentax-p-ttl-hotshoe-flash-options/3jwk7bitq8i8/1</a></p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

That's a nice comprehensive overview that will be very useful to readers.

I own the Metz 58 AF-1. You got just about everything right. I didn't notice any mention of the Extended Zoom

mode where the focal length of the main reflector is reduced to one level below the focal length of the camera

lens. It broadens the light coverage and softens the flash.

One writing suggestion: Even manufacturers refer to their flash heads as "reflectors" but to many civilians that

term connotes white cards or shiny metal or something other than a flash head. So when I read that the Metz and

the Promaster have a second reflector, the reality of a second flash (which is very useful) doesn't quite get

communicated. I would just add a line somewhere saying that you are going to call a flash head a reflector.

Other than those tweaks, I really enjoyed your article.

ME

Matt -- I think you've done an excellent job with this. As much as I love my 360 and 540's, having looked through your guide and seeing Mike's addendums above, I am convinced my next flash will be the Metz 58 AF-1. Thanks for pointing out what I already knew about the 58 but was intentionally suppressing due to lack of cash :-)...the bounce + fill alone is worth the switch.

Let me get this straight. On the Metz 58 AF-1 I see a smaller secondary flash head built into the flash units body below the main swivel/tilt head. So with this unit, which fully supports auto P-TTL flash and all functions on a Pentax camera, you can do a ceiling or wall bounce, plus have the small secondary flash provide fill?

That would be great, because that is a feature I enjoy with my PZ-1p, which can use the built-in flash simultaneously. I have valued that feature very much.

Wow!! I have been meaning to post some shots taken with my PZ-1p to show the effectiveness of the dual flash system. It is absolutely phenominal, and I have been hoping Pentax will return to the swapped positioning of the hot shoe and top LCD panel in their forthcoming DSLR model. This would restore this capability, and having the LCD panel up top really is better. Balance might seem like it would not be as good, but it is actually better! The flash unit is lower, with a lower center of gravity, so the whole thing is not as top heavy. Yet, it is at least as far away from the lens, being a little off to the side. Some photogs have said- no, it should be right over the lens. Nonsense. In vertical shots for portraits, the on-camera flash is in a slightly raised position, modeling the face better. You get wider coverage if using both flashes, being side by side, especially using the bounce-and-fill capability.

I wonder if the Metz secondary flash is as strong as the Pentax built-in flash. It looks substantial enough in the photo.

How is the Metz flash set up to be dedicated to the Pentax system? Do you order it to come that way?

Jemal, you could send the 540 right back to exchange for the Metz. Or you could use both in a multi-flash setup.

Matt, Very nice job. I learned a few things reading through your article; was not aware of the new Metz model.

It's slightly outside the scope of your article, but I suggest mentioned the Pentax TR Power Pack II for the Af-540 as well as the off camera cable options for the AF-540 / Af-360. I spent a few hours digging reading and trying to understand the options for get my AF-540 off camera wired and maintaining P-ttl. The cable and adapter options are confusing. Also worth mentioned would be the third party single dedicated cables which would maintain P-ttl on any model while on bracket. In a complete flash system article a mention of accessories would be a welcome addition and save some time for readers.

NICE JON.

/Roger

@Michael K--Metz makes a dedicated flash for Pentax and all the other majors as well.

It communicates with the camera. The default mode for many folks to use PTTL is to set the camera's mode to P. With the K20D I prefer PTTL, but set the camera to M, and make either aperture or shutter adjustments according to the situation. I also upwardly adjust the flash output 1EV. Depending on the length and requirements of an assignment, I'll configure USER mode to incorporate multiple flash-specific settings. This can include +1flash EV, custom white balance, sRGB, M mode etc...Exceptionally handy and unmatched by other brands of DSLRs.

ME

Thanks everyone. I expanded the bit on secondary reflectors to clarify that there is actually a separate bulb. Can you folks with the Metz 58 AF-1 confirm that it works in P-TTL mode? (The manual for the 54 MZ-4i says it can't on that flash, but the 58 AF-1 manual only mentions that it won't work in stroboscopic or modeling-light modes.)

I intend to expand the article a little further to include features like the extended zoom, contrast-control flash, modeling light, and so on.

I'll also add a section on accessories, both included and optional. The higher end Metz flashes and the Pentax AF540FGZ and the Sigma Super variant all include a plastic foot for using the flash off-camera on a table. The AF360FGZ and Metz 48 AF-1 don't, though, and to my surprise and annoyance this turns out to be a high-priced piece of plastic (you'll be hard-pressed to spend less than $15 including shipping). And the Metz 48 AF-1 doesn't even include a cloth case (the 58 AF-1 does, though).

Roger and others- the dual flash system can still be used with Pentax cameras by obtaining and installing a flash bracket onto your camera. There are several variations of bracket available from stores that allow the flash to be on the camera but out of the shoe. The proper wiring and shoe adapter is available from Pentax. This allows the built-in flash to function as well. It is just a bulkier setup than having the designed in arrangement of the PZ-1p.

Matthew,

Yep, the lower and upper strobes activate in PTTL mode on the 58 AF-1. Use it all the time. If you did not note this in your story, you can additionally configure the secondary reflector to operate at full, 1/2, and 1/4 light output. This applies to PTTL mode as well.

One more thing in re-reading the manual for the 100th time (this device is very feature packed and it is challenging to remember all the functions, especially in the heat of shooting) I don't see mentioned in your story is that you can configure a series of flash-bracketing exposures. Both PTTL and A modes, you can set the flash bracket values that range from 1/3 to 3 stops in 1/3 aperture increments. I can see that being very valuable with static subjects.

Keep up the good work.

ME

Thanks! I've updated the article with that and with a bunch more. I have another update in the works for tomorrow or the next evening too which will include flash bracketing and other more-esoteric features.

And I got information from Metz and Promaster about the guide numbers of their secondary reflectors.

No one has any corrections? Surely I've made a mistake somewhere in there. :)

• 3 weeks later...

<p>So, the article was getting out-of-hand for a google knol, so I've moved it to its own site, at <a

href="http://pttl.mattdm.org/">http://pttl.mattdm.org/</a>. Again please let me know if there's any errors — and

particularly if I've lost anything in translation between the two sites.</p>

<p>I'm still planning on doing <i>something</i> with the knol article as well; I'm just not sure what exactly.</p>