which Tokina AT-X AF 80-200mm F2.8

david_john_appleton

Hi i am looking for a Tokina AT-X AF 80-200mm F2.8 but i know of at lest 2 variants of this lens 1 with a red

ring and 1 with a gold ring just back from the the filter thread ,has any body had experience with ether or

preferably with both with regarding sharpness at F2.8 and AF speed i guess the red striped lens is the older of

the 2 as i have seen old canon FD fit looking very similar my experience with tokina lenses are just because i

lens is excellent it dos not mean the older or newer one is as well which i find out with the 28-70 F2.8 zooms

thanks Dave

Without full stops in the end of sentences and without paragraph separation it is very difficult to understand your post.

I do not have any experience with Tokina's 80-200/2.8 but I do have experience with other Tokina lenses. All focused slowly and noisily (much like Canon AFD motors) and typically requited stopping down 1-2 stops to be sharp.

May I ask why you are interested in these lenses and not in other 70-200/2.8 options? Apart from Canon, Tamron and Sigma also offer their variants.

HTH.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Hi yes i am the first to admit my English grammar is very very bad and almost as bad as my spelling i often have to spell check on most words longer than 3 to 4 letters! ! ! ! Very time consuming,but will keep an eye on it.

Its not that am not interested in the other lenses,but the reason a am interested in the tokina is i after much research with the 28-70 F2.8, i find that tokina has made 5 modals of the 28-70 F2.8 over time(+ a 28-80 F2.8).

All,it seems are very soft at F2.8 apart from the AT-X 28-70 F2.8 PRO 2

I got a pro 2 from eBay for only 82 GBP and it exceeded all my expectations, At 50mm F5.6 it matched my Canon 50mm F1.4 prime for sharpness, both lenses at F2.8 it was only a tiny bit softer than the prime ( tested on a 5D)

Looking at the MTF charts on Photo zone compering it against the canon 24-70 F2.8L the tokina is sharper at most F stops in the center and the canon is sharper at the edge so optically very comparable.

Yes its not as fast as a USM lens but probably the fastest non USM i have had,and seems very good in low light.

Build quality seem as good as my 17-35 F2.8L and better than the 24-105 F4L IS i had.

So i am very happy that i saved 400 to 500 GBP and have a quality lens.

So why i post? Well when researching the 28-70 a came across a post someplace that he say the PRO2 is very very good and his 80-200mm F2.8 is just as good but i don't know which tokina he has.

I have deleted my test images but have found a photo i take for a eBay item almost wide open at F3.5

and shot as a jpeg.

What do you think