purple lines on CFV files?

erik_wang

i was taking some long exposure shots (5 sec to 12 secs) this morning and noticed that there are some purple lines

running horizontally across the pic file..

i shot about 10 shots, the first 4 are fine, then the last 6 has the lines, i didnt noticed them until i was viewing them

on the computer. almost seems like the files are corrupted.

after that, i tried several shots and i need no issues.

is this something i need to be concern of regarding the back?

Erik

What camera did you use and how were your settings in the CFV BACK ? ? ?

I experienced almost the same and found my setting for the SWC was wrong and since I use the sync cable

for the SWC/CFV combination + the proper shutter time

setting , which can also be longer than the actual used

time , the problem has gone .

There is no way of rescueing the damaged files .

Jurgen

ahh.. maybe i did something wrong, this was my first attempt using long exposure.

here is my setup- 503CDW mounted on Lock Flash Grip Bracket with release cable on tripod.

on the CFV back menu, i went to camera setting and set exposure to the time that i want - 5 sec, 7 sec, 12 sec, etc.

i then set the lens shutter to B, and aperture at f8.... after each shot, i would goback to the menu and change the time.

is that the proper way to do long exposure?

I get the purple lines, but only rarely. It is known that using the mechanical sync method (native to 500 series cameras) can result in purple streaks if you hold the shutter release too long. While it is convenient to work without a cable, the flash sync method is the most secure. Furthermore the shutter controls the length of the exposure, even in a time exposure, without changing the time settings in the back.

Using the "500" sync method has an annoying effect. If you set the exposure time to some value, the back will require that time for processing each frame, regardless of the actual exposure time. I set mine to 32 seconds (the maximum), which was frustrating (putting it mildly) until I figured out the cause. I assumed you had to change it for all time exposures, regardless of the sync method. Thankfully, that's not the case.

If you take a time exposure at night, you can get streaks from bright lights (e.g., street lights) just like any other CCD. This is the result of sensor overload. The latest firmware seems to have eliminated that problem.