issue with my Canon 40d

gary_b6

I am not sure if this is a technical problem or something I am doing wrong. Before I send it in I would like your

opinions.

On occasion when I am playing with the camera and pushing buttons it will half lock up. The menu, info buttons

etc wont work. There will be information in the viewfinder and when I press the shutter it will flash but not

take a picture. I can get it working by taking out the battery.

Is this some hidden feature or a problematic camera?

Thanks

FYI called Canon and they definitely think its a defect. They said that the info/menu buttons should always work. I dont think its the mirror locking since the autofocus and flash fire when the shutter is pressed.

BTW thanks for the suggestions about not pressing random buttons probably a good idea.

Hi Gary,

I will have to agree that it sounds like a camera issue. I've seen this at work and i've actually seen this being caused by a faulty lens aperture. If i were you i would test it with a different lens (or no lens) just to rule that out. The other thing i would check is that there is no debris in the cf card slot, or any bent pins for that matter.

Hope you get this sorted, and please post with the results so that we can all learn from your experience.

Best Regards

Mark

My XTi will lock up if I try to do too many things at once. Turning the camera off and back on usually resolves the problems but once I had to remove the main battery as well. Only does it when I'm in a panic and foaming to get some incredible shot. I guess pressing random buttons comes close to what I'm doing although I have good intentions. I just take things a bit slower and all is well, hasn't done it for over a year now.

Hi Gary, I have a 40D and have the same problem. I noticed that this error happened when I pressed the random buttons, but not very often. What I did to get my camera back to normal was to turn it off, took out the battery, on again and clear all custom settings.

Hope this helps.<div>00RTRD-88013684.thumb.jpg.e70fe5daea3f2d9e4a228b37b7b66eac.jpg</div>