Second hand Nikon F4 or F5 ?

royston

Why not both? They are affordable as ever now. I bought both at KEH for under $500 for both!. The F5 is super fast but I do love the F4 with all buttons and switches. As soon as the F6's start going under $1,000 I'll grab one of those too. You really can't beat the build quality of a Pro grade 35mm.

Peace

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased and F5 from a friend who owns 5 (now four) of them. I paid $100 (again, I emphasis that he is a friend) then sold my F4s for $250. The F5 with it's 1005 pixel RGB metering has been quite impressive and though I do like to take command of my images when I shoot, it's almost reflex when using the F5 to trust the meter 95% of the time.

Also, important to know when considering the alternative,... the F100 isn't made to withstand the rigors of travel or intense use. I'm not an advocate of plastics yet and, having spent time pulling in those cracked and shattered housings like goose excrement in the park, I'm partial to metal. The F5, though heavier than it's counterpart the F100 will provide more options and you will not be so inclined to bag it when conditions turn less favorable (like in a storm or dusty environment) although I would still be somewhat anal in that consideration,... using at least a shower cap to protect my camera.<div>00RUxa-88687584.jpg.2a67755c3b6b373eaa07efb906dd54b1.jpg</div>

Here is my 2 cents. The F4 has really primitive auto focus and is heavy. It is fine for using AI-S primes and overall is

a very nice camera. The F5 is a huge jump above the F4 but if I were looking at either of these, I would have to

seriously consider the F100. It has the fastest AF of all the Nikon film cameras and it is built very well. They can be

had from Adorama or B&H for aroung $250 or less. In fact, if I were looking for an autofocus lens, I would simply get

an F100 and be done with it.

After carefully reviewing the many well considered contributions here, and re-evaluating my needs, I realised

that having something smaller would more than likely spend more time in the camera bag and therefore get USED on

a more frequent basis seemed the way to go.

Having also had a F100 in my hands it was obvious that on balance suited my needs better than the F5, and when I

was able to secure one on eBay for $110 (£70) thought, what the hell - if I want an F5 I can still get one later

and the money I've saved now will go towards film and processing and the important task of using the equipment.

It arrived this morning and is a joy to use - with the operational layout being nicely aligned with the D80, with

things like the pair of command dials.

It also feels like a "proper" camera and I am sure will outlive my D80, as this must be near the zenith of 35mm

SLR cameras with only the F5 & F6 offering more.

Thank you<div>00RZVC-90969584.jpg.0cdc7951b4f77270ffd030286d2ce88e.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have been debating between the F100, F4, or F5. I am planning on taking a film class at my local college (you also learn dark room/development). I currently have a few decent nikon lenses (including a few AF-D).<br /> <br /> I like to shoot sports also, and have heard that the F5 has an excellent AF system. Is the AF system in the F100 comparable? If not, I would probably spend the extra on the F5....</p>

<p>So I went to my local camera shop tonight. I planned on picking up an F100. To my surprise, they were all out! They had 3 of them (one with a grip) about 2 weeks ago. They also had an F5 that had been sold. I guess the F5 got sold to a guy who broke his, so he walked right in and purchased another F5.<br /> <br /> All they have left now are two F4's. New semester of college just started, and all the film cameras got gobbled up by students!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The F4s (and with the MB23 Data Back) is a mechanical version of the F6. The F5 was a dud.<br>

I also have a D300 for digital and FM2n and FE2 also for film. The F4 is the touchstone of cameras with forwards and backwards lens compatibility like no other. All the AF and AFs lenses I have for the D300, all work properly on the F4. Brilliant!<br>

The only thing it won't do is make use of VR. It has the best finder ever put into a camera. The adjustments to shooting, AF and metering are all controlled by nice firm ergonomic metal dials. The scope for creative film photography is virtually unlimited. I will never sell mine.</p><div>00SMKC-108487684.jpg.3bae60dc171a71f8f13ded7013999214.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>"The F4s (and with the MB23 Data Back) is a mechanical version of the F6. The F5 was a dud."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Stephen, I sure hope you are joking. The F4 is a totally electronic camera and requires batteries to operate. Its AF system is ancient and in my opinion pretty much useless. That is why some people call the F4 the best manual-focus Nikon SLR. It was introduced as the transition from manual focus to auto focus. Calling the F4 "a mechanical version of the F6" is a serious mis-representation of facts.</p>

<p>I never found the need for an F6, which I have no doubt to be an excellent film SLR, but my F5 along with the F100 are among the best film SLR Nikon has made. Ever since I bought the F5, I realized that I could not use the F4 any more.</p>