Canon price increas will follow Nikon?

flynn

Hello,

I live in Canada and recent days I was reading forims about price increase of 5DmII. :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=29943311

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=29964518

And most of all this price increase of all Nikon equipment in Canadian stores:

http://nikonrumors.com/2008/10/31/nikon-canada-plans-to-increase-prices-soon.aspx

So I called my local Vancouver, B.C. camera store and they confirmed that the all Nikon equipment will be more

expensive since November 17th 2008. And I asked about Canon if there is something similar happening there....

Customer rep. told me that there is nothing official but he is almost sure that because of the exchange rate

yen/CAD Canon will increase all prices in Canada (may be not all, may be they actually lower some of them to

attract certain people to buy particular products...).

So in reality it means that Canadian customers will have to check very closely prices of Canon cameras and lenses

because now they are too cheap even for US customers if you consider exchange rate. US dollar went up and CAD down...

This is another indication of changing economy. I wonder what happen next? Australia expect that canon 5D mII.

will cost 4500AUS instead of announced 3000AUS, Canada 3100CAD instead 2799CAD, Europe...? I consider myself

happy to live in Canada, I have even option to buy from US or here... In Australia they don't have any info about

new 5D at all it is all just estimates. Those who smiled at people who complained about 5D mII. price increase in

Canada may soon freeze their smile in the Canadian or possibly US stores? when they find out that their favorite

lens cost 200$ more.

And again Canon 5D mII. sale is terribly late again early November was pushed to late (27th) November so far.

What all this means? Will be this higher cost transferred to our customers at weddings and family photography

sessions?

Or we will just pay the difference and shut up? My answer is to find one more even non photography job to finance

my planned purchases.

I can`t out guess Canon. The new model is made to compete with the D700 Nikon which Nikon just put on sale for a short time.

Sometimes pricing has nothing to do with the cost to manufacture. That depends if accountants or marketing people run the business.

If one were to think in more traditional terms, if the dollar falls against the cost of manufacture, the company needs to cover that. Is the camera made in Japan or somewhere else? Maybe they will squeeze the suppliers a bit. That works to a point. Then disaster.

I would have expected Nikons pricing to go up in the US. It has not significantly. Economic times are not good now, so perhaps Nikon is lowering the profit margin to keep the factories busy. US auto companies have been doing this for some time now. Eventually this no longer works either.