If Canon could make one lens that they don't offer now, what would it be?

photohns

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 10-1000 f1.0 USM IS (five stop IS). I guess this would have fluid lens elements that are similar to that in the human

eye; all that would happen is that a magnetic or electrical field changes the shape and thickness of the lens

elements to confer perfect focus and change focal length. Could be done in a two oz. package.

Ok, taking a big risk here.....

I would like to see Canon ship all of their existing lenses right from the factory - without needing to be sent back for calibration right out of the box! If they did that, I think we'd all be very happy. :)

That said.....Canon has done a great job in providing a good selection. I shoot both Canon and Nikon. Nikon needs more fast primes. Given my experience with Canon lenses out of the box, I'd go completely Nikon if they could do that. But until then it's hard to beat a fast Canon prime like the 35 1.4 or 24 1.4. I use them a lot and they have been the most reliable of my Canon lenses. I'd sure like to see what Nikon could do to top those!

As for a new lens, I would also like to see a 200-400 f/4L IS USM that was optically better than the Nikon. It would of course be nice if said lens was less expensive than the Nikon, but only if optical quality was maintained.

As to revising/reviving old lenses. I agree with Steve Crist that a new 85 f/1.2L with fast autofocusing would be great. I have shot a fair number of indoor sports where a wide aperture is required and a 1.2 would be great. On the same note of indoor sports a 50mm f/.95 would also be great. Not really sure what kind of DOF one would have with this lens, but it would make some impossible shots more possible indoors.

For FF a cheap 50/1.2 that slightly undercorrects spherical aberration for nice bokeh.

For APS-C a USM 30/1.4 as above and that doesn't worry itself too much about vignetting in order to keep the weight down (unlike the rather-too-large Sigma beast).

The FF 50/1.2 would also cover the APS-C portrait people.

EF-S (and EF) prime lenses with built-in <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="Image Stabilization">IS</abbr>. It's my main reason for abandoning Canon and switching over to Pentax.... I love Canon's lens line-up, but fast primes plus image stabilization is pure magic!