Is there a way to build your own field camera?

dennis_leavell

Is it possible to build a field camera from scratch? (obviously I

can't make the bellows and lens) but apart from that.

I have done 35mm photography for more than 20 years and MF for more

than 10, but I'd like to learn more of the field camera world. I was

told that there are kits you can buy where you can put them together

yourself -- are these any better or worse than what you would buy

direct from the manufacturer? What are some good names to look for?

Thanks,

Dennis Leavell

I built and used a Bender 4x5 kit when I first started in LF. Looking back I would say that I would have been better off with a used camera- like a Super Speed Graphic. You can find a nice one for around $300- not that much more than you will spend on the Bender kit by the time you assemble it. Often the Graphic will have a 127 or 135mm lens thrown in. The camera is portable, rugged and precise. The Bender is not.

Dennis, not only that there is a way (many ways, indeed!) to build your own field camera but you can build specialized cameras, with specifications for your own type of photography. You can even build cameras that exceed the parameters of professional cameras, in some aspects important to you! And don't think that you couldn't build the bellows - it's easier that you perhaps imagine if you have the right material. Imagination, perseverance, knowledge of mechanics, optics, some mathematics and a basic workshop are necessary though... George

Dennis,

I would second the post recommending a second hand camera rather than self build. Large format cameras are so simple that even quite elderly ones (50years old) are often fully functional. The most likely thing to go is the bellows which are relatively cheap to replace.

I started LF with a 1960's MPP (British version of Linhof Technika) which cost £300 with a 150mm Symmar. ($450 US ?) It is of the metal field type and is rugged and simple to use if somewhat limited compared with a modern monorail type. There are several Graphics which would be similar so my recommendation is to have a look at the Graflex website to check out the different versions.

good luck

Just a slight correction (in my mind, anyways) on David Rose's response that the Bender isn't portable. Good Lord! I built a Bender 4X5 and it only weighs about 3 pounds. How much more portable can you get? I think that you CAN make it precise, but I would agree that this is difficult, and requires the reqruitment of precision instruments and a lot of patience with sanding/shimming to position the groundglass the exact distance as the film plane. It could be more rugged, but mine isn't exactly flimsy, I took the time to build it right.

Anyways, I'll have my Bender on a 9 day hike in the Canadian Rockies, and having at least 3 pounds less will be a blessing to me everyday.

Peter, I should clarify. It's not the weight that makes it difficult to transport, it's the shape and frailty of the camera. I built a custom case for mine that worked reasonably well, but it was still a much larger package than a collapsed Speed Graphic. I'm not slamming the Bender, it got me started and I probably exposed 1000 negatives with it. I made several improvements to mine, including a redesigned rear standard for rigidity and accuracy, better bellows attachment method, better lens board retaining system and calibration marks on the standards. It's just that now that I have worked with a collapsible, lightweight, rigid and precise Super Speed Graphic that I bought for $200, I think I wasted a lot of time on the Bender needlessly.

I agree with Peter. The Bender, though not a terribly rigid

camera, is perfectly sufficient for most of my needs in the field. It

is very light, rigid enough (for my needs, for now), has plenty of

movements for most kinds of photography, and accepts the

range of lenses I have right now.

Could some things about the camera be better? Sure. But then

almost everything you'll buy is a compromise in one way or

another. I'm an equipment junkie who is slowly learning the

valuable lesson that it's better to shoot with what "little" I have

than to think my photographs would be better with equipment I

don't have.

Now if I could only afford the Technikardan...

Still learning,

Tony Karnezis

I also built (and use) the Bender, and find the bulk annoying, but the weight is low and it has made it through many backpacking trips. Like others have noted, there are simple and cheap modifications which will make it more rigid and precise.

One thing I REALLY like about it is the flexibility of customization. I built a set of adapters with some cherry wood and brass thumbscrews to move the lens right up to the ground glass (using the optional bag bellows). I then rent the super wide LF lenses to experiment with photographing large interior spaces and landscapes. The simplicity of design and capacity to modify the camera is useful to explore some options which are either not available or really expensive to realize in other systems. Your mileage may vary.

I'm in the camp that says "Life is Too Short" to spend a lot of time building an LF camera that I could spend making pictures with one. Experience? I helped build the first 1,000 Zone VI 4x5s in the late 1980s. I know how complicated it is, and how much time it can take to get right. A kit would be the best way, I think, if one were going to try it. Otherwise one had better have a lot of skills, and a lot of knowledge about LF cameras.

I agree with those who advocate buying a used LF, and getting on with making pictures. The exception would be if you WANT to build one for the sake of having done so. For me, however, my Wista and Sinar are just fine. Your time is worth a lot -- in money and in other ways as well. And it will take a lot of time to build a camera that you will be proud of. How do you want to spend it? That, to me, is the real question you might want to answer for yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide!