Many of these or similar effects can be achieved in Photoshop and Lightroom.

The plugins save time, and the learning curve, but playing with programs to learn how to use them completely to me is more important. When you do, you also discover many other things you can do, with various combination's of commands.

Combining various contrasts, sharpening, and filters.

In Levels, RBG menu, changing individual colors using R, G, B histograms individually, means creating effects you like. Using Filters, Artistic, and combination's of various ones. You can create your own _original_ changes, instead of using a program which makes your images look like everyone else's who uses the same program.

Experiment with Photoshop and Lightroom combination's, like you would with film in a darkroom. Take one Image, make 30 or 50 variations of it, as you do, you will learn a lot more about how the programs and your tools work. There is no substitute.

<p>@ Robert Johnston:</p>

<p><i>"Many of these or similar effects can be achieved in Photoshop and Lightroom."</i></p>

<p>Are you commenting on the artistic effects these plugins achieve? While you may be able to replicate some of

the more mundane results of these plugins (Topaz/Fractalius/etc), you would be hard-pressed to replicate the more

dramatic artistic effects. There are some techniques that will get you close by using the Anisotropic filter in

PS (Filter>Stylize>Diffuse>Anisotropic) along with other steps. But you won't be able to get the highly stylized

look of these plugins solely by using PS straight out of

the box.</p>