How to choose a wedding photographer...

michael_c11

<p>

My sister is getting married in the near future and I've been trying to help her select a photographer for the event.

</p>

<p>

I've been able to help by identifying good technique and composition. But the rest of the details are well

outside my areas of expertise.

</p>

<p>

I was hoping folks here might be able to lend some advice on what to look for in a wedding photographer beyond

the "style". I'm specifically interested in the <b>business transaction</b> itself. For example:

</p>

<p>

<ul>

<li>When a photographer provides digital images, should we expect RAW or a certain minimum resolution on JPEG?</li>

<li>I would assume that any good wedding photographer is going to "tweak" the images after they're taken. But

what kinds of questions should we ask about this? I certainly do not want to pay someone thousands of dollars to

be given hundreds of unprocessed digital photos.</li>

<li>We all know what kind of difference the choice of equipment makes in the quality of our own photography. But

how do you judge someone else by their camera equipment? Is it right to ask what kind of equipment they use and

how many cameras they'll have on-site (to minimize lens changing time)?</li>

</ul>

</p>

<p>

I guess what I'm really after is help in crafting a list of questions for the photographer. Since many of you

are professionals who do this on a regular basis, what are the important things you want people to know about

your business when you make the sales pitch? How do you suggest weeding through the options once you've select a

"style" that's appropriate for the event?

</p>

<p>

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and tips.

</p>

1. Most photographers do not provide RAW files. Most provide JPEG files, if they provide files, and they vary from low res to full high res. You will have to ask and determine if what they offer is satisfactory to you.

2. Other than asking IF they tweak images, the best thing to do is to look at sample prints made from their files--both small and large--and make sure you ask whether the quality you see in front of you is the quality you can expect to get. Tweaking varies quite a bit and it is impossible to narrowly identify a particular type of tweaking.

3. If you don't know about the equipment enough to make an intelligent assessment of their gear, don't ask. Again, the proof is in the pudding or prints, in this case. Other than some absurdity, such as using the cheapest point and shoot for the entire wedding, the gear a wedding photographer uses makes little difference. It IS true that a serious professional will probably have serious gear, but it isn't always the case. Other than a back-up camera or two, it makes no difference re lens changing, re the number of camera bodies a photographer brings. Some work with two or more cameras at once, some work with one at a time.

I doubt that a list of questions along the lines you describe is going to result in your knowing whether a photographer is 'for real' or not. Again--look at the samples, use your intuition re the character of the person in front of you. Unless you are very young and inexperienced, you should have some ability to assess a person's character. In the process of asking about what you will get for your money, pay attention to how they talk, react, etc., as well as to the details of the package. If you wish, ask for references. If a photographer is serious about doing work for you, they will provide them. Call the referenced people and ask how their experience with the photographer was.

Lastly, after listening to what they offer, ask for what you want (being reasonable, of course) and go from there.

Visit a site like The Knot , Wedding Wire or Martha Stewart Weddings ... most listings have all these questions listed, and answers from

specific photographers. It's a good starting place.

RAW files can be tweaked and be saved as DNG type RAW files ... but most clients do not have current version software like Photoshop

to open them.

I think you are right to be somewhat concerned about experience levels and what a shooter is using ... including suitable backup. Wedding

forums are peppered

with the occassional "lost all the images" stories.

<p>

-"should we expect RAW or a certain minimum resolution on JPEG"

</p>

<p>

If the contract stipulates that the client will receive the "digital negatives", then the max resolution JPEGs

are provided. Forget about RAW, as RAW is what the photographer is importing from his camera to his workstation

(unless he captures JPEGs right out of the camera, but few do that) and RAW is essentially the format prior to

all the post-processing (software touch ups).

</p>

<p>

-"But how do you judge someone else by their camera equipment?"

</p>

<p>

You don't, you judge them by their work/pictures.

</p>

<p>

-"Is it right to ask what kind of equipment they use and how many cameras they'll have on-site (to minimize lens

changing time)?"

</p>

<p>

You shouldn't need be concerned about exactly what kind of equipment they'll have, OTHER than verifying that they

will indeed have backup equipment (at least 2 camera bodies, lenses, flashes, etc).

</p>

<p>

As Nadine mentioned, the proof is in their work, which they provide samples of online or by sharing with you an

album of a past wedding shoot (it’s important to be able to see the entire series of selected pictures, so you

can see consistency amongst other things).

</p>

<p>

You are indeed right to be concerned about experience level and what to expect, but certain details are

irrelevant to yourself/the client. The details that you need to address include points such as found here <a

href="http://www.zookbinders.com/choosing_photographer.php"

target="_blank">http://www.zookbinders.com/choosing_photographer.php</a>, for example.

</p>

> How do you suggest weeding through the options once you've select a "style" that's appropriate for the event <

Shoe leather, time, face to face, IMO – I do not buy something I do not know much about, any other way.

I think you would be best making appointments with some Professional Photographers in your area and looking at

their PRODUCT - a full Wedding is always a good indication - perhaps an Album they are just sending off to the

Bride and Groom - as well as their Portfolio of Selected Images.

> I guess what I'm really after is help in crafting a list of questions for the photographer. <

As to questions – open questions, not closed.

I suggest you begin by having a rough of the layout of the Wedding, and ask for advice about ideas and the best

ways for Photographic Coverage of it.

Asking detailed technical questions (about equipment etc), without expansive technical knowledge is a silly game to

play. General equipment questions regarding capacity and redundancy (back up), are sensible.

To address your specific example, (about working cameras carried on site), I carry two cameras nearly always – but

that, of itself does not make me ``better``, than a colleague who carries only one – even if he/she had only a Prime

Lens on that one camera.

I can change lenses very quickly, and for that matter, reload film canisters and roll film, too - as all good,

experienced Photographers would - the speed of the lens change is not the question - the anticipation and ability to

know when to, and being in front of the game are the points in question.

But as an example of a client putting in time and effort, I had one investigative client ask what Church I would be at

the next weekend - they went there, and watched me work for an hour and a half during the Nuptial Mass . . . I guess

that is an extreme, but gee they took the Photography quite seriously enough to put the time and effort in to

investigate me - and I think that is what you need to do - as you spend more time investigating, you will learn more

about it and feel more comfortable with it.

> Since many of you are professionals who do this on a regular basis, what are the important things you want people

to know about your business when you make the sales pitch <

Integrity. Experience. Honesty. Excellent People Skills. Very Good Wedding Photographer. Ability to Produce the

goods, under pressure and unexpected conditions.

I suggest asking for referrals - directly and indirectly: that is asking the Photographer if there are previous clients

willing to take phone call from you - and asking your friends and relations for their input and recommendations.

You as the client will get more out, relative to what you put in.

WW

Many excellent points have already been made. Technical competence aside, it's absolutely vital that you find somebody your sister will be comfortable with. Will they make the couple feel relaxed and at ease? Would you look forward to working with them? Don't overlook any of those questions, they're terribly important. I've met some great photographers who are entirely lacking in people skills, but they tick the other boxes. To an extent, you need to like the person you hire.

<p>All the advice above is excellent. But you can short-cut a lot of the process simply by asking to see the last two weddings the

photographer shot in their entirety. Any competent and experienced photographer will have no problem with this - in fact, the better

ones will even suggest it to you first. Make sure you're seeing what the client received, and then you can judge if you like it. That way

you find out how they finish their images, how much they edit, how their albums look, size of the images etc., and, of course, whether

they can tell a story in pictures.</p>

Check out their work, website etc. Look at the prices, what can you/cant afford. Keep the ones in your price range that you like their work. Then call them or meet with them. I think it comes down to, what they can do with the equipment they have, and how well the couple gets along and feels comfortable with the photographer.

If a photographer had the best images in the world, but was rude or not friendly I would pass them over like a hot potato.

One friend's friend was surprised with no images files included in their package. And another one got files without any

editing...so, I guess, those are tricky ones...

Every photographer offers different packages, you might want to check, and pick one that fits into your need, and budget.

some photographers won't give out image files, unless it is their top package with album order...if in this case, you might

want to know how much they charge for print/print price. If they do offer packages with files included, ask what size the

image files (high rez. web size, etc.) They best way is to ask to see their event gallery, which has the whole shots from a

wedding...

"...a certain minimum resolution on JPEG?"

With some of the 'newer' camera bodies coming to the marketplace, will you have enough computer (memory and hard disk space) to tinker with 20+ Meg files? Getting .jpg files is one thing, but having a decent computer to handle them is going to be a likely roadblock if you find a photographer with the latest camera to shoot your wedding.

Generally, the higher resolution, the larger the file size will be.