20mm, which to pick?

szrimaging

<p>I missed for a while this conversation and I see lot of action in the meantime. I'm surprised to see so many people praising the Nikon 20mm f2.8. When I purchased it I believed that I get a bad copy but later on when I read a review on photozone.de I understood... It was my fault to buy without to find the right information. The guys from photozone which is IMHO a sound source of information are rating this lens with only 2 stars. That says everything. Look here please: <a href="http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/209-nikkor-af-20mm-f28-d-review--test-report?start=1">http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/209-nikkor-af-20mm-f28-d-review--test-report?start=1</a></p>

<p>Zach,</p>

<p>I will be very interested to see how the VC20 works out for you. I have been toying with the same idea. I currently have 2 of Nikon's 20's (2.8 and 3.5, both AIS). They are mediocre on DX. On FX, the 2.8 is quite good, as it's reputation on film would suggest. (Mihai, note that the test you mentioned was on DX... things on FX can be very different). I now have the Nikon 18mm/3.5 AIS (quite nice, so far), and am considering getting rid of the 20's for the new VC, which is nice and compact. </p>

<p>By the way, I do not understand the argument about balance. My D700 is quite nice, thank you very much, with compact lenses, like 50/1.8. Just because we might wish the D700 to be lighter still, does not mean that you have to hang a lead brick like the 14-24 or Zeiss 21 monster on it to make it feel right! The Zeiss 21 may marginally outperform the 20/2.8AIS on FX while pixel peeping, but having a compact lens is still important in the field, so to speak. Nikon's little 20 was a very well-liked and popular lens with professionals in the film days for a reason. Interestingly, I have made some comparisons of the 20/2.8AIS on film to the SUPERB Zeiss 21 for the contax G cameras. The latter has some design advantages in that it does not need to clear a mirror. It is compact and even better optically than the monstrous SLR Zeiss 21 (old or new), according to Zeiss own info. The Zeiss G-21 outperforms the Nikon if you pixel peep (or examine transparencies with a magnifier). But, the differences become indistinguishable in practice: e.g., in the f/5.6-11 range for enlargements of 11x14 or even 13x19. Wide open, the Zeiss noticeably better. The little Zeiss G-21 also is distortion-free, in contrast to both Nikon 20 and Zeiss/ZF 21!</p>

<p>Anyway, I am eyeing the little VC20, so quite interested to hear your experiences on D700 and film. </p>

<p>Fred,<br>

I use my Nikon 20mm f/2.8 AF-D on D700... and my opinions were built before to read the photozone review... I believe that my copy is vignetting on D700 even more that what they show on the diagram and if I add a slim UV filter for protection (which is a norm for me since in my country there is lot of dust everywhere), the results are going worse very much, only f8 being free of fall off.<br>

Since I shoot a lot on events and less on landscapes... my need was for a fast wide lens and definitely this is not what it promise to be. I borrowed once a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 and it performed very well on D700. I also have a Sigma 24 f/1.8 and I am extremly happy with it. It provides stunning images in low light events. I am very serious considering to add in my bag Sigma 20mm and maybe 28mm which seems to be from the same class.</p>

<p>Fred, I'll post a full review after I get the lens. Ordering today or tomorrow, so should have it by Friday, assuming no delays from B&H. I'll be testing on a D200 without a split prism focusing finder. It appears that I will be waiting until February or so to upgrade bodies. I hopefully will be adding a Katz Eye to the D200 though in the next week or so also.</p>

<p>Mihai,</p>

<p>My 20/2.8 is the AIS one, and not the AFD. Perhaps there is a difference, although they are supposed to be the same optically. I have not noticed worse vignetting than usual with wide angles. I did notice that it does NOT work at all well on DX (major areas of softness!). But, on the D700, it is about the same as other wide angles, but both Nikon and Leica-R that I have used on the D700 and on film: first stop not useable for anything critical, second still not good in the corners, and just fine by 2 stops in (5.6). My 24/2.8AIS and especially 28/2.8AIS are better.</p>

<p>I agree the 20/2.8 is not a GREAT lens on the D700, but it is good, especially considering its size. It is fine up to say 11x14 or maybe 13x19 from 5.6-11. Considering the still relatively compact size of the 20AIS, I think it was a pretty good compromise for its day. I may well replace it with the VC, if that performs better. </p>

<p>Zach,</p>

<p>A word of caution: if you test this first on DX (D200), definitely wait until you try to D700 before deciding whether to keep the lens. I have found HUGE differences in the performance of some "legacy" lenses (pre AI, AI and AIS) on D200 and D700. In particular, I was VERY disappointed with my 20AIS on D200, and only realized the potential it has with film and D700. </p>

• 11 months later...