Are crop cameras going to disappear?

photohns

I can foresee the APS-C camera body for many years, the major players have lens sets to accommodate those needs. I have read in this thread about the need for primes on FF bodies and a certain mindset of how a particular lens "looks" after years of shooting, makes sense, but many enthusiasts now use zooms, exclusively. The camera manufactures recognize the far greater popularity of this type of lens and most cropped-body optics are zooms.

Not long ago, the APS-C format didn't have a lot of true wide-angle lenses to cover the bases, but that has changed.

Both formats can co-exist, the market forces will control the destiny of APS-C.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eventually yes, they may disappear. As Mp counts reach there maximum for APS and FF 35mm chips, currently

with the new FF 21-24 MP cameras prices will come down to a point in a year or two that one may be able to crop a

FF 24MP image to 12 MP and still have good quality for most objectives. Tied in with lower noise, etc, the APS

cameras will no longer have an advantage in pixel density if they max out at 12-15mp which they seem to

have...maybe a leap in technology will eventually lead to APS 24mp cameras, but for the near future this seems to

be not likely. Even if that occurs there are limits to the needs most photographers need beyond 20+ mp, as most are

happy for now with 12mp. There are plenty of other factors that can be improved aside from resolution. Time will tell

for sure, but I don't see much advantage of a 24mp APS camera over a FF model with the same mp count. Most of

us do not need 39+mp in our daily lives, else we would shoot MF. Those that do, will seek out whatever products

fullfill their needs. Personally I would like to carry lighter smaller equipment, but a 50D or D300 size camera is fine. A

P&S with a good APS or FF chip would be nice for real, with a good zoom lens range would make a fine backup at

that point. At some point as camera sales trail off, technology not able to continually improving in leaps and bounds,

I am sure camera prices will decrease and eventually a few years down the road, a FF 24MP camera will be sold in

the $500-1000 range just like 12mp models do today....sorry for the rant...

When I D&P`d 1/2 frame film years back it was a PITA and never caught on much enlarging was not good, But 1/2 frame digital does work and folks are getting great prints from them, So no reason to cut em out, IMO XXXXd and XXXd will remain while XXd will move on to FF to join Xd, this gives a full market for manufacturers while keeping the majority happy. just hope this megapixel war is nearly over :) tho won`t be long and have to learn HD editing...

I don't think there is a real danger for crop cameras to disappear. They are accessible for most amateurs and/or low budget professionals, they give an advantage in macro photography, as well as in portraits, so I think that their lifespan won't end soon. Besides, the produsction of crop sensors is much cheaper for the companies than that of full frame sensors. Otherwise the crop cameras should have been disappeared for long.

The decision to produce crop sensor cameras was commercial. Much will depend on the preferences of leading

users as to the end of its commercial cycle. Even if these sensors are cheaper to build and sell trade has never

turned its back to the percieved gains a new full frame euphoria could generate.

when silicon wafers start costing as much as a chocolate wafer.

maybe in next decade ?

its ridiculous what Masaya Maeda said : "We don't think so; EF-S is perhaps more appealing to the younger market and female market, who appreciate the light weight. So EF-S is not going to be pushed out. At this moment we don't believe the 50D sector of the market will be going to full frame either, and we will continue to provide EF-S cameras and lenses to that segment."

Didn't we have small and lightweight cameras in film era? the weight can be reduced.

Canon engineers also said that In body stabilizations is impossible on FF camera. Well is it ? ask Sony engineers how to do it.

I am positive, crop cameras will disapper but not as easily as those APS film cameras. But eventually it will when sensor get really cheap.

I have several Canon "crop" digitals (10D, 30D and 40D), which all come in handy for the sports photography I shoot on a somewhat regular basis. But for wide angle and landscape shots I've had to use a 14mm lens, as the 17-40 L I own didn't cut it with the crop factor. Which makes the FF ones like the 5D appealing for that type of photography, but only if the price point goes down a bit (and perhaps the weight of it as well), as I'd really like to own both.

Price-wise, the SLR crop factor cameras wil be more accssible to the shooting public to buy for a long time.