K20D Sensor.....

erik_skipit

The K20D sensor is a samsung sensor....I was told Samsung is a leader in the electronics and computer industry

so that sensor is probably pretty close to top of the line...Does any one know how they,Samsung, rates for sensor

designs and who manufactures the best sensor?...Which i am sure is up for debate and some cameras the sensor i

would think would be close if not the same...Camera lines out there you have Fuji,Sony,Nikon,Canon,Sigma and

Pentax in terms of DSLRs and i'd think that most all use very similar sensor technology....

Pentax has never made a sensor so I wouldn't include them on your list of Sensor makers.

To me its the lens mount is most important.

What specific lens do you need to persue your photographic vision? With that answer you then research the

available products, new or used and buy it and your done till the next wave of new products launch twice yearly.

In ten years you've accumualated a variety of tools to cover your needs, or you drop $10,000 at once and you're done

building a core system.

Now my question to you:

Are you using *ist film camera, *ist D, or Pentax DL ? You seem to own all three.

Well the base technology can be different, so I suggest researching CCD vs. CMOS vs. Foveon sensors.

That said, from a practical perspective of a photographer, the firmware that makes the sensor work with your camera's hardware and software is far more important. In the past Pentax and Nikon cameras have both utilized the same SONY sensor, but its performance has been distinguished, in part, due to firmware differences.

So, to rate sensors without the context of firmware is not all that valuable. Then you have to develop criteria for determining what matters. You can read plenty of reviews that provide an opinion based on the testing team's criteria. I always bounce that off of my individual set of values which always do not correspond 1:1. Just make sure that your criteria are linked with your core requirements for taking pictures. I'd also throw in a few non-photographic business requirements as well, especially with this crazed economy.

ME

I know Pentax does not make sensors thats why i said Samsung made....

I am thinking there has to be a extreme differance in the K20D over the ist that would equate to getting a better image....I have read of the K20D's much improved IQ.....

If i kept my ist and just got the higher end lens i am not improving my image quality as much as if i were to get the better body....Or so thats my thinking...And in that i understand i very well could be wrong....Thus the forum....Where theres so much good help....<div>00RM0D-84429784.jpg.d2cb9aae787eef23b38abcb690066a10.jpg</div>

Obviously, the K20D affords improved resolution. That said, more detailed advice is more difficult because we still do not know if you have the "D", "Ds", or "DL". The "D" is quite an advanced camera, and the smallest pro style DSLR. So please do inform us.

Many postings here have contained really fine images obtained with an *ist-D, using high-quality lenses, like those from Markus Maurer. Justin uses a K10D, but also often still uses his*ist-D. We have seen fine examples from him. But good for shooting only in RAW. The K20D resolution is better, but especially noticeable when shooting JPEGs- miles better. Then there are the other feature updates...

There are significant differences in sensor technology CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) and CMOS (Complimentary Metal

Oxide Semiconductor) sensors work in very different ways. From the istD to the K10D and newer K200D you're

looking at a CCD sensor. The new sensor in the K20D is CMOS. Both types of technology have been around for a long

time, CCD in the 60's and CMOS as an early computer component in the 70's.

CCD sensors have had a very early head start for imaging applications, a few decades of lead in a technology arms

race with a reputation of delivering quality for photographers. How it works: the charge in a CCD is created when

light photons strike the sensor. Each pixel essentially acts as a bucket and as photons strike each photo site

the charge is passed from one bucket to the next until every pixel has delivered it's charge in this slow bucket

brigade process. A very simple concept, but accurate making for a clear signal. The charge then goes through

voltage conversion and is processed by the imaging engine with amplification and analog to digital conversion.

Slow but effective. The disadvantages of CCD is a sensor that requires more voltage and thus shorter battery

life. Also, higher voltage can cause more noise particularly if there are more pixels on the sensor. Another key

thing to remember is that as long as the camera is turned on the CCD is turned on consuming power - eating up

that rechargeable power supply.

CMOS is entirely different. Image processing begins on the sensor itself which has contains a significant amount

of electronics. As a result data moves more quickly than with the CCD bucket brigade and lower voltage is

consumed on the whole. As good as that sounds it's not entirely perfect, the sensor is subject to more heat from

it's complexity increasing the likelihood of failure and noise can also be created as collateral damage. To

overcome the heat issue in a CMOS sensor the sensor powers down between captures which makes for great economy

with your power supply. If you have a look at some of the recent reviews on the video capture performance of the

new Nikon D90 you'll see that sensor overheating is a problem. That's a big reason why extended video capture

will continue to be based on video camera's and not tripod mounted DSLR's.

Ultimately both types of technology have advantages and will be around for a very long time yet. Don't expect to

see CCD disappear anytime soon. Having picked up my long awaited K200D yesterday, I've left it in the box because

it may go back on Monday, I'm considering buying a new lens instead and wait a little longer and buy the K20D

(maybe the price will drop a little more in January). I see having both types of technology as beneficial and

therefore I'd like to have both sensor platforms in my camera bag.

To answer your earlier question on sensor quality - PopPhoto.com reported in March that the Pentax K20D provided

slightly higher image quality than the Nikon D300 below ISO 400. It's also interesting to note that the new Canon

50D has a 15.1 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, slightly higher than the 14.6 on the K20D, yet the new Canon has shown some

noise issues in early comparison testing leaving many to wonder if the older 40D may be in fact a better body to

buy. I think Pentax made a very slick marketing move by downplaying the K20D resolution at launch time, stating

that image quality and not resolution is the hallmark of the K20D. Some devious techs in Pentax/Samsung R&D

departments worked out the maximum they could squeeze out of an APS-C sensor with current technology knowing full

well that as other manufacturers tried to cross the threshold noise would be an issue. Hope this helps.

Just as a note to add to Duane and Michaels good info post.

While the older sensors did better (and only slightly better) with noise, the DR of the older sensors was not on

par with the newer sensors.

My D1H doesn't compare to the K10D in DR. I often get blown out highlights with the D1H when the shadows look the

same (ie. exposure was probably the same).

The ist D and the K10D also have DR differences, and the K20D further gives an enhanced DR range (not including

the DR expansion mode).

So you will always get more quality from the newer sensor assuming something was improved, but often you lose

stuff, as the 50D vs 40D and G9 vs. G10 shows.

I think Samsung did a fine job with he K20D sensor, although it's not perfect. For sub ISO500 shooting I am

doubtful there is a VASTLY superior sensor on the market.

I was a little disappointed by the K20D maximum resolution test, but my images seemed pretty good,so maybe this

is a case of worrying about one negative (or sub par) spec rather than the sensor as a whole.