Bowens Pulsur Triggering System Misfiring at times

stephengalea

Basically I have been using Bowens Pulsur triggering system to fire off my Bowens Quad pack and also the Bowens

monolights for these couple of months. (I have 2 in all - one set on receiver and other transmitting attached to

the hotshoe of my 30D)

During photoshoots in studio the Pulsur triggering devices do not work efficiently. Sometimes they misfire the

flash monolights when pressing the shutter button. There is not a sequence to such issue, in fact it happens at

random. During each photo shoot both indoors and outdoors (especially in tight space locations) from around 100

exposures, I would have around 10 of them underexposed..actually badly underexposed, since flash did not fire. It

happens with both the pack and also with all my monolights. When the Pulsur does not trigger the flash, i simple

touch (move gently) the one attached to my hot shoe and I can continue working.

I tried to replace recharged batteries, tried to replace cable but problems still present and even clean contacts.

Have anybody encountered such problem with the Bowens Pulsur Trigger System? Working the tight spaces, would

eventually affect the radio frequency of the triggers? Would one assume that they are faulty? Having a wireless

internet connection in studio might affect the devices?

Having said all the above, I might opt for the Pocket Wizard, as many photographers seem to work with them,

however this is the last resort as they do not come cheap.

Any feedback or help is more then welcome.

Thanks for your time and help.

I had four of Bowens Pulsars AKA Calumet Lite Links... They are complete rubbish! Take them back and get some

Pocket Wizards ASAP! - Calumet took all four back from me after I had the following problems:

1) Random flash triggering - this really sucked! My strobes would fire for no reason al all - In the middle of a shoot!

This annoyed my clients and made me look like a kook! At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong -

nope.. Synch cable worked fine. I plugged just one into my pack and it fired the pack a random - all by itself...

2) Double flash at low power setting... I called Calumet and they "had heard about this problem" as well as the

random triggering.

-- Get your money back and get some Pocket Wizards --

I have pocket Wizard Plus II units now and have not had a single problem since..

BTW: I use Profoto Acute2 and Compacts in my studio.. Same problems with both types of unit. I can't believe that

Bowens / Calumet are still selling these pieces of junk.. Get a refund!

Thanks for your answers....I bought them more then a year ago, to which now I cannot have a refund back for my money..I simply need to invest in pocket wizards..

GeorgS - I will try my best...but first I think I will try and buy the pocket wizard as replacement, cause I do need something to work with. Thx for your feedback once again.

Thanks for your answers....I bought them more then a year ago, to which now I cannot have a refund back for my

money..I simply need to invest in pocket wizards..

GeorgS - I will try my best...but first I think I will try and buy the pocket wizard as replacement, cause I do

need something to work with. Thx for your feedback once again.

Should I buy the pocket Wizard, I need a set of 2 just the same? Sorry this may be a stupid question, however her

in Malta we do not have these available and have to ship from abroad.

Thanks

I cringed when I read your post.. Sorry to hear that you are stuck with those horrible Bowens Pulsars (AKA Calumet Light Links).. I know how bad they are! But Calumet did the right thing and took them back for me - no problem.. They even paid freight each way via FedEx; and I am based in Australia!

Calumet first sent me four replacement Bowens Pulsars (Light Links) that unfortunately had the exact same problem as the original. As you can imagine I was pretty unhappy after going through eight (8) units all with the same problem(s)! I still can't believe they are selling these things - they are obviously inherently defective! They took all eight back in the end and sent me four Pocket Wizard Plus II's - and a transmitter module for my Sekonic flash meter..

I can't say enough good things about Calumet customer service. In spite of all the problems they were a pleasure to deal with.. It's a shame you can’t take your Bowens Pulsar units back -- I would at least contact Bowens and/or the dealer you purchased the units from and complain! SHAME ON BOWENS for marketing such a HORRIBLE product!

You need two (or more) Pocket Wizard Plus II's (I have four and rarely use more than three) - They are 'dual mode' -- they can be set as transmitter or receiver (or both).. Four channels -- they come with several adapter cables for different flash units.. Very simple to use -- one on the camera one on your light.. Two Pocket Wizard Plus II's will get you going if you are tight on funds; and these days who isn’t?

I have not had a single problem since I switched to Pocket Wizard.