If you use a Fong lightsphere or any diffuser, what happens if

aretha_powe

What happens is--you don't get soft light. You also can't benefit from reflectivity off surfaces. If you leave the flash pointed upward, you lose most of the light out the top, with some being 'caught' by the sides of the LS. If you put the dome on, the dome soaks up the light that would have escaped out the top, 'forcing' some of the light back down and out the sides. Your flash also won't have much reach, with or without the dome.

If you use the LS pointed forward with the dome on, you get a slightly diffused light that is a bit better than direct flash, but nowhere near what you'd get with good bouncing surfaces.

I'm not a seasoned photographer, but a bit of a scientist so here's my explanation. Your bare flash concentrates all the light straight forward at your subject like a flashlight. When you put the LS on with the dome, it shoots all that light in a millions different directions. The idea is that some of the light will bounce off other surfaces and come back to your subject from those million different directions, thus giving you a nice, soft, even light. But when there is nothing to bounce off (high, dark ceiling, far walls), that light is never coming back. It's gone. So the only thing lighting your subject is the portion of the light that happens to come straight out the front of your diffuser. But it's just a fraction of the light that was sent out originally. So all things being equal, you don't have enough to expose the picture. But if you are using TTL (or know how to compensate in manual) the flash will recognize that only a portion of the light is getting to your subject, so it will automatically "leave the light on" for just a fraction longer. The result: more battery energy used but essentially the same picture as if you had no diffuser at all. Maybe a little softer because it's a slightly bigger light source.

I've shot with the LS and white dome outdoors at night, and have had great results. However, if you want more light output in those conditions, the Chromedome with the center hole blocked (with tinfoil or similar) would direct more light forward, with it's inner kicker panel.

I shoot with a piece of Rosco Light Tough Frost forming a bubble over the flash head.

If I have a reflective surface I set the flash angle at 60 degrees and the LTF throws just enough light forward to prevent racoon eyes.

With no surface I just point it forward- very high ceilings or dark ceilings. I recently shot in a resturant with a black ceiling and found that flash forward + Program gave me the best pictures.