Potential Lens Danger Question.....Older lenses...

erik_skipit

I was wondering....I was told the older Pentax lenses,now i dont know if this goes for Pentax manufactured lenses

or other makers...But anyway...I was told on the older film lenes which will work with digital,but on the older lenses

theres something to do with the mount that can damage the body specifically the auto focusing....

If you know about this,and more information could be posted on this,this might help anyone new as well as

myself..This was told to me by a old Pentax shooter...Well older guy........But basially using the lens will damage

the auto focusing mechinism of the body....

The problem is with some of those old manual focus Ricoh/Sears K-mount lens. That version of K-mount has a

different data/signal pad then Pentax's (ie: KA mount). It is located where the auto focus driver is. The better type of

these Richh/Sears K-mount lens uses a spring loaded ball. Those are safe. The lower cost version of these lens

uses a

cheap pin. This pin can get caught in the AF motor drive. As a result, the lens get stuck in the body. The solution is

remove this pin if you have one of this lens before it get stuck.

Erik - one of the main benefits of shooting Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon is that you have this huge body of older glass that you can use. Be careful when you get a Ricoh / Sears K-mount (you should definitely search the net so you'll know what to look for). I had one and didn't, know it, but fortunately for me, it would not go on completely becuase of the pin. People here told me what was up, and 2 minutes with a screw driver and I know safely and happily use the lens with no problem. But, if you're worried, just buy older pentax or takumar glass. You can't go wrong. Believe me the only thing that will make me not use my old 50mm f1.2 Pentax SMC lens is getting an auto focus one. lol.

There are some pictures on DPR regarding the removal of the pin http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=19214685

The other possible issue and the one I think you are referring to is more rare and happens with primarily older Vivitar and some other 3rd party lenses. If you look at the mount on a Pentax lens, there is a flange or sheild that protects the aperture lever. On some older lenses, this flange is abbout twice as long and needs to be cut down to fit. If you tried to force it on the body, the flange will hit the lens AF drive motor housing.

Thankyou everyone...I figured i was probably the only one who didnt know about this when i learned but thought i

would say something none the less...If it helps even one person,saves them from damaging their camera then its

worth showing how much i dont know by posting such a comment.Like with the shutter speed and someone pointing

out how stupid i was for not knowing that....

My next lens will be a 50mm and at least now i know what to avoid more specifically,which the problem sounds as

its more rare then a common thing....

Jemal....Wow glad you didnt damage your camera.....

I had that stupid flange problem too on a Vivitar lens. Hin convinced me to keep the lens cause it was a 28mm f2.0 (now one of my favorites). Again, screwdriver solved the problem, I just removed the flange housing and tossed it in a bowel with the screws. Lens works fantastic. If I have dust probleems later, it will ahve still be worth all the greatphotos taken in the mean time. (I don't ahve the tools to trim the flange down).

Jemal - "one of the main benefits of shooting Pentax instead of Nikon or Canon is that you have this huge body of older glass that you can use."

The oldest Nikon lens I use dates back to 1962. Nikon lenses before 1971 typically need a minor milling operation (called an "AI conversion") so they're not all that different from the Pentax world of pins and flanges.

I could almost swear that Hin had told me at one point that he was selling his 50 1.7. It might be worthwhile sending him an email to see if it's still available and what he'd charge you. As a used lens, it'd be cheaper than the f1.4 version - but too - Hin always has lots of test pictures to show what the lens is capable of.

:)

Erik, if you don't mind manual focus, a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 will cost you under $100 on eBay. It is small, light,

and a beautiful lens to look at :-) Of course, it also produces great pics. On a Pentax DSLR it's great for

head'n'shoulders or waist-up portraits. I'm sure you would love shooting it wide open.

If you can spend a bit more, you can get the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 for around $125. Being an A series lens it will

allow you to shoot in AV, Tv and all other modes. M series lenses can only be shot in M mode (or Av if shooting

the lens wide open).

If you can go all the way up to $200, then the already recommended Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 is great value for money.