How do I resize multiple images at once?

Hi Federica, I know that in Photoshop there is a specific batch function under file - automate - batch menu... You only need to create a specific action to perform what you want and then invoke this action in the batch menu dialogue and apply it to your images.

Check if this is possible in PS Elements, as well.

Ciao, Alberto.

If PS Elements doesn't have a batch function, then consider using Irfanview which has an excellent batch resizing facility.

That raises a question from me: is there any way I can precisely resize a mixture of landscape and portrait images in Photoshop CS3 or 4 in one batch processing hit. As far as I can see, I can specify the height and width to resize an image to but with a mixture or portrait and landscape images, I can't resize them correctly in one batch.

In Irfanview the batch resizing function allows you to specify the size of the largest dimension which PS doesn't seem to have, unless I'm missing a trick?

There is a script in Bridge and Photoshop called "Image Processor". You can fit a batch of images into a "box" of specified dimensions (in pixels). There is a comparable function in Lightroom when exporting images. Lightroom is better because you can specify the resolution in ppi as well as the box size in pixels. For example, if you set the resolution to 300 ppi and the box to 3000 x 3000 pixels, the long dimension will be exactly 10 inches.

I'm not aware of any batch program to crop images to a specified size. It would be counterproductive to do so because which parts you remove may vary between images.

I'm not clear on *what* you want to do. Changing dpi of the image to 300 by itself will not change the image size.

Anyway, if batch resizing, yes Photoshop can do it, and will give best quality, assuming it's downsizing.

If you're not that fussy, *any* of the image viewers can do this, simply and efficiently, with all the options you can

dream up. ACDSee and Irfanview are two big names. A viewer program is worthwhile getting, both for (well) viewing,

and for mundane tasks like this.

Bill, I've never given Irfanview a try, but will with your comments. My pref is ACDSee (just the devil I know), and I know now *it's* downsample is not as good as PS, but good enough for quick things, which tends to be my norm ;)

I try to mention Irfanview along with ACDSee just so I don't sound like a shill, but should give it a look. The price is right.

Bill, the bloatware factor has made me stay with an earlier version of ACDSee, so I'm not sure. I typically don't care about the slight improvement when downsampling, and if I do I can just do the DS with Photoshop.

Just little things like the loss of autosorting for new files (and a few other gotchas) frustrated me enough to stick with earlier version. I'm not too impressed with their business model: shovelling in new (iffy) features, and stripping out things that worked doesn't impress me, LOL.