Opinions of the Sigma 18-50 2.8 lens

robert_thommes1

I have it and use it on my 30D. Excellent lens, very useful. It's capable of some very wide coverage, which as with any other wide-angle used to be aligned properly to avoid distortion at the edges. Nicely constructed, a little on the heavy side but no biggie, it's small. Completely happy with it, it covers my wide angle needs on a crop sensor very nicely.

I have this lens and used it for a couple of years. Image quality was good and build quality felt very good.

However, the lens developed a focus error (wouldn't lock focus at infinity) so I've replaced it with the EF

17-55mm F2.8 IS. That lens is a fair bit sharper, but MUCH bigger.

Pros:

Sharp, usable wide-open, nice feeling build quality, compact.

Cons:

No HSM focus, focus lock not always consistent, no IS, slightly warm colour, although that's easy to correct in

post processing, Sigma reliability not good in my experience.

Both Sigmas I've owned have been 'posh' EX models and both have broken early in their lives. I'm pretty careful

with my stuff and though it may be bad luck, I'll probably stick to Canon from now on.

The Tamron looks the better bet of the non-Canon F2.8 'normal' zooms.

Cheers

Try the Tamron equivalent. It's pretty much equal in IQ department but gets better user reviews more often.

The Sigma I'm using at the moment has worked nicely and purple fringing hasn't been a problem, it's not a Tokina lens. ;). It's the never macro-version (1:3 is actually very nice to have for casual close up), why are you interested in the older model? It's not even available new?

Tak Shun Cheung: The Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS is what the Sigma should be. It is sharp and contrasty, and has excellent focus. It also has full time manual focus and Image Stabilization.

It has four detractions: 1) It is expensive. 2) It has a tendency to attract dust behind the first element. This can be cleaned by a competent user, and instructions are on the web. 3) It does exhibit some flare in contra light. 4) Built quality is decent but not as good as a $1000 lens should be.