Missing images?

stephen_lilley

Apologies if this question is in the wrong category.

Whilst photographing birds in my local district, early this morning I encountered a problem I have not come across

before. I was shooting with my Nikon D200/ Nikon 500mm P lens,+1.4 TC. Plenty of juice in the battery and plenty of

card space. I had shot bout 200 images and was walking to a different location with camera on tripod over shoulder,

when a bird appeared and perched quite close to me . I hurriedly set up my gear, quickly focused and banged off a

dozen shots or more. Shortly after, I checked the results in the LCD screen only to find none of the dozen or so

images were recorded. My first thought was that the card was empty, I tried a couple of test shots , which were then

okay. All previous and subsequent shots were okay. I can say definately that the shutter fired for all

those "missing" images.What had I done in my hurry to set up my gear?

Regards Stephen.

When lens contacts get disconnected, and also if you have possibly a non-cpu lens programmed in the camera

menu, upon loss of contact with your lens D200 made guess and decision that perhaps you changed lenses and

installed the non-cpu lens, and used aperture of that configuration, or minimal aperture possible with your lens.

You could possibly try to download those "banged off a dozen shots ", and chances are that they will transfer to

your computer as fully legal picture files, and you will see black thumb pictures. This will confirm my theory.

Long lens is not a rifle or stick, and what you say: "with camera on tripod over shoulder", seems that will teach

you some lesson to take better care of your gear.

I adviced in an older post that removing non-CPU configuration when non-CPU lens is not used, would help to

eliminate this case of fooling the camera and goofing pictures, but as always there were smart people who argued

against it.

Please try to download those "dozen shots" and tell us what you see. See what picture file numbering you get from

that shooting ?

Thanks Frank for your comments. Could I just add that I take the ultimate of care with my gear, carrying my 500mm lens on my tripod and Gimbal head with the Gimbal adjusted so as the lens cannot rotate or pivot whilst walking. I did try to download the missing images , but they were indeed missing. Regards Stephen