Lens shades and filters for LM lenses ????

rolleiman

Hi Gang,

Another Rookie here.

I have two lenses for my 4x5 Super Graphic camera; 127mm, f4.7 Ektar

and a 135mm Optar, f4.7.

Since they do not have a screw thread in the front of them, how do I

use filters, what type do I get and also what types of lens shades do

I get. Are they push-on types???? Where do I get them ??

Thanks,

jerry

Basically you're screwed. You may be able to find push-on series 6 adapters at photo flea markets, and there are plenty of sunshades, but filters are very hard to come by. (See my posting on this Forum earlier in the week.)

Ignore Bill's cynicism...

Get yourself a Cokin "P" Universal adapter (or LEE, or others)- that fits over the rim of the lens barrel and tightens with plastic "set-screw" like screws to the outside of the lens.

Then, with the rectangular filters, your in business.

Hi Jerry,

I do see two possibilities:

take a Lee-Compendium as suggested before and mount it with an OSFA Adapter wich clamps outside the lens. The Lee Compendium is a much better shade than the cokin plastics.

Or, you go into customizing a Toyo compendium (for the field types). They mount to the front frame of your camera. Might be tricky, so better have a look, before spending the bucks.

The compendium is imo more important, than the filter option, but this comes with both posibilitys anyway.

Cheers,

Martin

Jerry,

A couple of suggestions :

1) The Cokin 'P' system as posted above is what I use. Camera Bellows Ltd in UK make a natty 'zoom' bellows shade quite reasonably (about £30 UK) which fits the Cokin 'P' system among others. It would be fine for your current lenses although it will not do wider than about 90mm.

2) For the wide shots I use the dark slide. Just shade the lens with the slide. Not perfect but makes a big difference.

Its also practical to convert such non-threaded lens to a now standard sized metric filter receiving size, such as 46mm or 49mm. Such an adapter can be pressed permanently on to the lens and it will then be suitable for use with the range of currently available filters, shades and accessories.

<p>

These typically cost $50.00 each, made by me. I need the lens on hand here in the shop to make and install them.

<p>

See: <a href="http://www.skgrimes.com/product/adap/index.htm"> my site </a> for more about this.

Calumet offers a combo lens shade (barn door style) and filter holder (70mm filters) which has a spring like method of attaching to a wide varietyx of lens diameters. The only lens I own that it WON'T fit is my 250mm Wide Field Ektar....It's a tool that solves a great deal of problems, doesn't cost alot and doesn't take up space in the backpack.

Jerry I have a Super G myself and found thru WTB ads and photo shows as well as photo shops, plenty of series 6 and 7 adapters, filters and hoods (metal and rubber) to take care of me. Mostly I use a yellow filter or #11 yel/grn. You'll need to measure the outside of the lens in millimeters and/or inches and that will give you the adapter size which pushes on the lens. The filter fits in the adapter and will either use a filter retainer or a series hood which screws in the front. You can also use a cheap clamp on filter adapter and gels which I use for my #11 gel. Good shooting!