Leica P 600 or RTM

Don`t know if there is still any interest out there in projectors but I am thinking of upgrading an old Hannimex

projector for a P600.Before I make the decision I am wondering whether there is any qualitative difference in

something like an RTM over the P600. Build ,quality of projection ?

That may seem odd question given the difference in price but I clearly want to make the correct choice and ,as I only

intend to use it at home, to decide which will be most cost effective solution.

Thank you in anticipation.

The P300 has always been a model I have coveted. It's light distribution over the image is better than the P150, and brighter, the former

being a consequence of its superior condenser design. Agree with Ronald about the glass mounts and flat field lens, but the curved focus

lens is a good second choice for normally mounted slides.

Michael, I got the P 600IR with Super-Colorplan 90 lens. It's a beauty, very rugged and dependable. One difference may be the condensor

design and brighter light output. You can turn the P 600 to half power if you find it too bright. Check the specs on the Leica site. Also,

Leica Bei Meister in Germany has details.

I use the standard 50 European trays since I heard the LKM ones can sometimes jam. For viewings, the projector sits on a chrome and

leather flat-topped bar stool. I use a Daylite screen.

We reckon there's still nothing to beat watching slides on a big screen. My wife says it feels likely you can step into the scene.

Thank you Ronald ,Arthur and David. I had forgotten the flat and curved field lense isssue. Most of mine are cardboard Kodak 64 slides dating from the 70`s but the recent ones are plastic mounts. May be a compromise is required or two lenses !

David, I think that your wife is correct. I have only come back to this recently ,after a absence of 15 years ,and am amazed all over again with the quality of slides.

Michael,

The RT S or M are better ones. Much brighter then the P 600. RT' s be more sensitive what slide concerns, therefore if you go compares take a tray with slides with you.

What service concerns. You can repair the 600 yourself. The RT requires special tools for repair, and those tools are hard to get.

The better choice for home use. The pradovit IR. Virtually the same as the 600IR. But it has "gold plated" condensors, wich give you 20% more light. Buy it with a Colorplan 90mm P2 and you have a perfect projector for home use. The Super colorplan is not necessary, sin of your money, quality improvement do not even out the costs,

Jeroen

Thank you . That was helpful. I have decided to go with the P600. I cannot test it out before hand but I am buying from Ffordes in Scotland ,who I have bought from in the past ,and they are good to deal with.At £300 it seems to represent good value for what I require compared to the cica £750 for an RTM.

It is not the IR model but comes with a FF lense,so I will have to see how that works with my old Kodak slides (do not fancy glass mounting 300 slides !) .

David

Ffordes have taken the picture off their web site now but I am sure that the projector had Pradovit 600 on the front. Should get it tomorrow (Friday) so I will check and let you know.

Once again thank you all . Your collective experience has been very useful

David

Got it today and can confirm that it has Pradovit P 600 on the front. Unfortunatly that is all that I can confirm as it had a number of faults not least that an internal blind was not clearing sufficiently thus obsuring half the image !

Spoke to Ffordes and they will arrange to pick it up Monday and correct the faults.Thank goodness I was dealing with them.

I hope to be soon basking in the (projected) Leica glow.