Reliability of 5D MkII in Early vs. Later production.

alam_khan1

When buying an automobile, it is commonly stressed, that it is better to avoid the earliest samples of a new model

production, because it takes a while for the factory line to be optimized and the initial bugs to be worked out. This is

especially true of a platform change in an automobile.

Since 5DMkII is a new model and essentially a new platform, would the automobile analogy hold true for the newest

Canon full-frame camera?

Any comments, especially from personal experience with 5D or other cameras, would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you all in advance for your time and effort.

I'd think the above holds true more for Software and gadget companies than for Canon. As a long time Canon user, I

have never had or heard about any serious problems with my cameras. 10D, 20D, 40D, Camcorders and Point and

Shoot's.

I used to be the first one with the new gadgets, it took me some time and money to learn the lesson. With my

experience now, I wanted the Iphone, decided to wait for the G3 and waited one month.. then I learn about the G3

issues and waited for the Google Android.. so now I have been stuck with my good old reliable cellphone.

When it comes to Canon, I don't see any reason to wait. They have not given us any real issue, probably some

software bugs that are taken care of with a firmware update.

We know the most important improvement on the new 5D is the new sensor, (not too interested on the video

thing...maybe I'will once I try it) I know it is going to work since they gave us the same resolution as last year's 1Ds

MK III. and the coating or any other difference is just an improvement, and for less money you are getting a way

better LCD screen that I tested today on a 50D (Sweet!). For the money this is a 1Ds MK III comparable camera

(except the speed, durability and other extras)

In my case that I want to move to full frame, I don't see any reason to wait. I trust Canon will give us a superb

product. I wonder what is going to be my next excuse to "upgrade"

While this is a point I had considered my order is placed with a firm deposit.

The advise and confirmed delivery date second week in November , propably toward the end

next month. My luck one order was cancelled and I know the store manager.

Even here in Australia order books are full ,had it not been for the cancellation it would be February.

Manfred

I've bought many Canon cameras early in the production cycles and had zero problems: EOS 10S, 5, Elan, Elan 7E, Elan

7NE, 10D, 40D & 50D. I figured the early ones would be checked more carefully for glitches than later production. I did buy

an EOS 3, 1N, 20D & 5D about 6 months into production and also had zero problems, so what the hell.

I've had a 50D for over a month and so far so good. What I've noticed, when I waited 6 months as I did with the 5D, I read so many

damn bitches, rants and complaints I almost didn't buy it. When I finally got the friggen thang it worked perfectly and realized all

those screamin' cry babies were full of BS.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

IMHO, the 5D2 is not a "new" camera in the sense of all new technology. The Digic IV processor and the new screen are already

in use on the 50D. The 21mpxl sensor is similar to current 1Ds3. My order is in...

Canon is probably pretty careful these days, considering the grief with the 1D Mk III's AF.

Seem to be a lot of ERR99 with the 50D, though. So, maybe they need to try even harder. I'd expect there will be a firmware update to address the ERR99s.

Speaking of which, with these cameras (and many other computer based products in our daily lives), the software to run them often lags the hardware introduction. Notice how there are almost immediately updates available, and they continue for sometimes the entire production life of the product? At this point, I'd always put that high on my list of first things to do with a camera, check if there's a firmware update available.

In response to OP's concerns, I'd say it depends on one thing... whether or not you make your living with your camera. If you do, I'd say wait a few months. If not, go ahead and get it right away. If anything were to go wrong, that's why there is a warranty and Canon is pretty good about taking care of issues. Worst that could happen is that the camera might need to go in for a free service or outright exchange.

A working pro who needs his camera at hand for jobs would either need a loaner or backups, if there were a problem. So they might be better waiting a little while.

<p>You will always hear more about the bad (glitches, problems, etc.) than the good in mediums like the

internet.</p>

<p>When something goes wrong people get angry, outraged and have to tell everybody and anybody who will listen.

The internet gives the perfect opportunity to do that. Few moderators and plenty of people to listen.</p>

<p>Those who are happy and have no issues will more often than not be out there using the thing and enjoying it than

sitting in here on the forums throwing up raving reviews.</p>

<p>With companies like Canon and Nikon the major glitches will all be ironed out before the it hits the production

line. Just go for it!</p>

I would also not worry too much about early production run errors:

<p>1. I'm sure Canon were all too aware of the "internet chatter" surrounding the AF on 1D3 and will have worked

extra hard to sort out any such potential issues.

<br>2. Any glitches that appear will likely be "unknown unknowns" fixable via firmware.

<br>3. As already pointed out, manufacturing errors would be very well controlled since the production cycle is

now very mature.

<p>You still sittin' there reading this? You should've pre-ordered by now! :)

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this discussion. I truly appreciate the detailed and thoughtful notes people have written here. I tend to agree that there will be almost no hardware issues in Canon or Nikon products. Software issues will always be there, and will be fixed over time.

The purpose of this topic was to get an idea about camera hardware problems in early production samples as compared to similar problems in other manufacturing industries, e.g. larger wafers with higher resolution in semiconductors, automobiles, etc.

By the time I can convince my wife to buy me 5Dmkii, I think most of the bugs, if any, will have been worked out.

Thanks again for your input.