D300 firmware update version 1.10

berg_na

Nikon Asia has released a new firmware for the D300 that appears to improve several key features such as AF

focusing, auto white balance, and noise in long exposures: (<a href="http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi-

bin/nikonasia_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?

p_faqid=6121&p_created=1224259706&p_sid=_D*AFrhj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPS

ZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xMzExJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9

zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1"><b>Link</b></a>).<br>

It is not yet available on Nikon USA though.

Forgive me if this is a very dumb question, but are the various firmware updates region-specific? The above link is to Asia, dpreview.com posted a link that takes you to Nikon's Europe website, and the US website doesn't yet have the update that I could find. Are there different versions depending your camera?

I searched photo.net, but the only thing I could find was cautionary tales about whether to upgrade the firmware at all.

I downloaded both the europe and asian versions and the files looked the same to me...Same size,etc...

Installed it on my D300 - and it works just fine... Min Shutter Speed for auto iso now goes up to 1/4000. Fired off 10-15 pics and it seems to be okay...no smoke.

only issue I had was that I had to do one upgrade at a time - copy the A version to the card upgrade, delete the A version copy B version to card upgrade.

Firmware A upgrades very fast about 1 minute or less. Firmware B takes about 5 or 6 minutes.

Dave

Brian - There were earlier updates that were intended to fix rare problems so many chose to ignore them, but this latest version appears to include major improvements. Some users report that the auto white balance is now more robust than before and works well under a wide range of lighting color temperatures.<br>

Joseph - You're right, it's available on Nikon USA now too.