Oily 50

shoots

I am posting a pic (if can get it to work) of the Nikon 50-mm f1.4 (non-auto focus), I assume an AIS version (has silver ring on barrel) which needs

repair. The aperture leafs have oil on them. Any one have similar problems that have gotten repair, if so where, how much? I really like this lens and it

worked really well with my F3HP. (they both have that a classic solid feel and performance.) Could I do this repair my self with special tools, say like a

nut-cracker and a butter-knife, some toothpicks and Elmer's glue?<div>00RHPL-82451784.jpg.3a34894157ebb340f453589da72e77a6.jpg</div>

I would send it to Authorized Photo Service. Their website is Authorizedphoto dot com They have serviced three lenses for me over the last four years, most recently this month, and I have been very pleased with their work. On one of my lenses, they cleaned the aperture, cleaned the inner elements, polished the marks out of the multicoating, relubed the focusing helical, all for about 120 USD. I pre approved the work on the letter I enclosed, and they started working on the lens the same day they received it. I had it back within 8 days, and I live 2500 miles away. For service like that at a reasonable price, I wouldn't buy Nikon's special tools (like vise grips, duct tape, and silly putty) and attempt it myself.

It's certainly possible to repair this yourself ... IF you know what you are doing. You need to disassemble from the front of the lens, removing the front retaining ring and then the front optical group. That should give access to the aperture assembly, which can be removed an an intact unit and flushed with solvent to remove the oil from the diaphragm leaves. That oil came from somewhere, so it would also be wise to clean and relube both the inner and outer focusing helicoids (which essentially requires almost complete disassembly)

Simple AI/AIS primes like this are not that difficult to work on, and don't require that many specialized tools (vise grips are NOT recommended ;-)), but if you have never done it before and want to be certain that the lens will work after repair, I would suggest that you send it APS (http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/) or another repairer as Dan suggested. Otherwise, you might just have an expensive (and oily) paperweight on your hands.

If it's not sticky then I wouldn't bother. Opening up 50mm 1.4 ais is pretty straightfoward if you wanna do DIY:

unscrew the screws at the back then unscrew the back lens elements (you can do it with your hands) and you get to

the apperture blades from the back, also unscrew the tiny screw on the lens barrel and unscrew (again with hands)

the front lens elements and you should be able to get to the apperture blades from the front. But unless you

are looking to sell it then best to leave it if it is not sticky.

Unless the aperture blades are sluggish, I'd fire away until they are. Amateur surgery usually produces more paperweights than cured lenses, especially if you lack the tools and experience. Get some quotes, if possible, or just budget for a new one. They're not all that pricey--Ai or Ai-converted K series 50/1.4s are relative bargains.