? Advantage of Lumedyne system vs a Metz for MF

Could anybody advice me. I am getting different feedback from

different parties. I am an amateur shooting 6x6 and EOS. Usual stuff

need flash for mainly fill in protrait and occasional off camera

creative shots. I am split between buying either a minicycler by

lumidyne which can provide 6v ad 9v with faster recycling rate and

capacity.

However a few friends advised that I might as well go for a Lumedyne

mon head system using a flash meter .............

I do not mind using a flash meter but the eos and metz seems so

accurate to me already is there more scope for improvement ?

Thanks in advance

Benjamin Chang

London UK

Ben

I have owned and used both the Metz system (which I no longer use) and a lumedyne system, which I still use.

To me, the lumedyne system is a fantastic system for use on a light stand as an extra light to fill in shadows, light backgrounds, provide an overall illumination, etc. The metz is the system that you want to use on your camera. It is very accurate.

I used the 60 ct (had two of them) and loved them. I changed to the Quantum X-2 (also extremely accurate) because I could get more power out of it and because it is easier to put on a light stand if I want it there.

Good luck.

Kevin

Also recommending a look at the new Quantum units, which will support TTL operation on your EOS as well as function on your MF system.

I use an old Norman 200B system for portable flash, and the big advantage of barebulb type systems, aside from lots of power, is the ability to modify the light more easily. I have a tele reflector for use with long lenses, ordinary parabolic reflector (which could also be used with a small umbrella or flat reflector), reflector with an opal glass diffuser, a 12x16" soft box, snoot (if I want to use it as an accent light together with my studio lights, for instance), and it is always possible to use the bulb alone for very specular light or with an ultrawide lens.

I am a long time user of Lumedyne equipment. That said, now I will tell you why.

It is endlessly expandable and adjustable. You can run a whole studio of heads off of a single control module. You can boost power beyond anything you will ever need, and get extremely fast recycle. All you need to do is buy the necessary modules.

I use manual power for all of my work. Some say you need auto...WRONG!

Shoot at known distances all of the time...it will make you a better photographer. I am a wedding and portrait photographer...see my website. I shoot at 6', 12', 15', and 25'. Longer images can be computed by looking at the distance scale on your lenses. The manual powers are the same every time. Repeatability and predictability are essential to professional use. Full power will always be the same every time, the same for 1/2 and 1/4. The modeling lights and barebulb ease of use put the unit head and shoulders above the competition. The "quality" of light these heads throw is wonderful. The small control top, I believe it is the 244 in their catalog, is easy to carry with a minibattery attached and will give you an impressive number of flashes. The batteries can be changed in an instant. With the reflector and barebulb you have six available light outputs...all consistant every time. The new X modules are even faster. Please feel free to ask additional questions but I feel this is the best system for any photographer who wants dependable quality lighting.

Roger Skully

robinsnestphotography.com

Another vote for Lumedyne...

Much more versatile than the Metz in my opinion. The Metz is also problematic to mount on brackets and lightstands because of the unusual shape.

I carry a small Lightware case that holds 2 heads, 2 400 watt packs, 2 026 Super batteries, and 2 024 Mini batteries. It is amazing how many subjects you can light perfectly with this small kit.

The same packs will also power my Quantum X2 flash if I need an on-camera unit, or just want another manual flash but with 1/3 stop cut or boost for fine tuning the output.