What size prints can you get out of a NikonD40?

sarahdu4

I might have missed this in my manual or I might just be retarded, but what is the largest size print you can get from

a Nikon D40? Is there a setting or function I am missing because I can go no larger than 8 X 10? I have a P&S Sony

Cyber Shot that is 7.2 megapixels and I can get like 20 X whatever out of it. I would think you can still go larger than

8 X 10 with 6.1 megapixels.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep doing more research too. I just know that y'all are so helpful in such a short amount

of time that I thought I'd ask.

Sarah

Not sure what you're saying....you don't need to set anything in the camera to get whatever size print you want. The file's the file and you get it printed to your desired size.

In my experience, 8X10s are beautiful out of my D40. No improvement could be imagined by me. I personally haven't printed larger, but I'm sure it could be taken up another couple notches and the average viewer wouldn't be able to discern any perceptible quality loss. I'm going to try an 11 X 14 and will let you know how that turns out.

That would be so nice! Thank you! I guess what I'm saying is when I download the pics into my computer and I open them in photoshop they automatically read 8X10. I'm just thinking ahead when I start doing portraits and weddings if the clients want to order an 11X14, would it will be nice enough quality. Does that help?

That's a function of Photoshop and you having it in an 8X10 editing default, I imagine. Could be wrong! I use Photoshop Elements (kind of a light version but a real bargain) and I can change the aspect ratio of crops with a pulldown. The information that is contained in an 8X10 is not the same as an 11X14 and so on.... the aspect ratios vary.

The file a D40 produces is 6.6x10 at 300ppi.

If you need to make an 11x14 or larger and maintain 300 ppi, then you need to uprez or interpolate the pixels to make

the file larger.

In photoshop, go to image, image size, and a dialog box comes up. Check bicubic smoother at the bottom, check

constrain proportions, and put in 11 inches for the new width. Do NOT put in both 11 and 14. You want to maintain the

original length width proportions. 14 will not make it wide enough.

Now crop the file to 11x14.

To make smaller prints, use the same procedure but use bicubic sharper.

Sharpen at final size.

I make 8x10s and 8x12s that look nearly as sharp as it possibly could get unless scrutinized very carefully.

I've also made some impressive 18x12s. having 24mp sure would be nice for the 18x12s but I don't feel the 6mp detracts from the image.

Generally speaking you only print your good images at 8x10 and only the BEST at 18x12 so really for anyone looking at your picture the last thing they will notice is a lack of resolution.

happy shooting!

>If you need to make an 11x14 or larger and maintain 300 ppi<

But it's not necessary to use 300 ppi to make an 11x14 inch print.

OP, this is a complicated subject.Your initial and follow-up questions indicate you need to do some serious

research to get a handle on digital photography - your questions can't be answered in a few paragraphs in this forum.

Presumably, if you are going to start to make professional photographs - "portraits and weddings" - then you're

going to pay someone to make professional prints for you. Whoever does that will be responsible for creating

whatever size prints you need. This is not something you will have to worry about.

Suffice it to say a three megapixel camera can be used to produce excellent 16x20 inch prints, so your camera can

provide similar if not better quality prints, too.

Sarah, you can get whatever size you like from a D40. The thing that is stopping you at the moment is the default

settings of your editing software. You can change that in the software preferences or if you are using Photoshop under

Image> Image size. Under that you will also find Canvas size which is also changeable - altering this will also have an

effect. I have used a 2.1mp camera to produce 6ft x 4ft prints in the past and you could do so with a D40 easily.

Remember that printing at 300dpi is as much as you need for normal eyesight. The human eye cannot discern anything

greater. A lot of people who think they are photographers are what I call pixel peepers who take a magnifier to spot the

smallest flaws and loose sight of the image. You naturally look at an image from a certain distance. If you like the

image - great - if others also like it - that's a bonus. You only need to bother about size if you are doing the printing

yourself - if using a printing house you give them the images on a disc or card and tell them what sizes you require after

having first looked at a proof set.

Wow, ya'll are great! You've all taught me so much. I will not be printing them myself so I guess you are right Dave. I feel more at ease and ready to go take more pictures. I think I will print all your suggestions out and keep them forever. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• 1 month later...