Question about the sync speed w/ Mamiya c330f.

mike_tornero

Hello everyone Im current a student and im taking a photography class on lighting and I have been wanting to use my Mamiya c330f and

I've been told that if I have it set on X and have a sync cord I will be able to use it with the studio's strobes. My question is about the

shutter speed I use. I've been told that I should use either 1/30 or 1/60 (the person wasn't sure). The manual (at least the one I have and

the one I found online) does not specify. With my 40D I use 1/125 and I was told that is the speed I should always use. The strobes they

have are Profoto and Elinchrom I am not sure on the exact model.

Any info would be great and I thank you in advance.

Mike Tornero

With central leaf shuffer built into Mamiya lenses, you could use any shutter speed available, including 1/500 sec.

If your flash duration is longer, e.g. 1/200 sec for some studio strobes at full power, synchronizing at 1/500 sec,

then you will not be utilizing all the light produced, but entire picture will be exposed to flash light to some lesser

degree, perhaps.

I would venture to say that you could easily use 1/250 sec, 1/125, 1/60 sec with Mamiya, and 1/500 if knowing the

flash light duration is faster, or taking that light loss into consideration.

40D and other focal plane shutters cameras operate on a different flash synch principle, and you cannot compare

them to central leaf shutters.

Frank is correct that you can use any shutter speed with leaf shutter design lenses. You still have to use the correct

aperture though for the amount of light the flash is producing. This aperture will naturally vary based on your film

speed and flash output. The best method to do this is with a flash meter. Once you set the correct aperture, the only

real difference with shutter speeds would be to stop any movement, or to let different amounts of ambient light play

into the shot.

• 2 weeks later...