how to scan negatives

anthonybagileo

After months of debate between MF and 35 mm. i decided to go with MF. My camera is on the way. An RZ67 pro

II.with a 110 mm lens. I do photo work for a magazine and the digital have been fine. I would suspect that there will

be times where i would like to use the MF if im doing portratits. I know i can take the pics to the lab and have them

developed and put on cd's. I literally have no idea about scanning. Im obviously not going to do all my prints large for

personal use. I would imagine personal photos would be a large majority of the pics i take. What is the process. Do i

get the negatives developed and scan them myself? If so , what kind of quality scanner would i need. I would spend

up to 2k for one if necessary. I figure if im doing MF i should only use the best available equipment for my budget. Im

confused! I couldnt find the answer on the forum, im sure its there somewhere. I have no intentions now of doing my

own developing though i think i will probably take a shot at doing b/w's myself someday.

You'd have to spend a lot more money to do better than a Nikon LS-9000. At 4000 ppi, it is grain-sharp and with a glass holder it is sharp from corner to corner. You could easily do a 30x40 inch enlargement with some resampling. Unless you get an $18,000 Scitex, flatbed scanners don't do medium format justice - you might as well stick with 35mm or a good DSLR. Other alternatives include an Imacon scanner ($12k+) or an occasional drum scan of your best work.

I confirm that a dedicated film scanner is obligatory for quality work, and the CS9000 is the only in production scanner of

adequate level for a reasonable money. I'd also strongly advise you to develop your own B&W film, this will give you a

much better control and you will avoid the frustration of getting your negs back with air bubbles and/or scratches + dust to

cope with.

I am with the Nikon 9000 group. I have had one for a couple of years and the scans are quite impressive. I was able to find mine used, locally in like new condition and believe my MF prints with this scanner are sharper than my darkroom prints and I do essentially no sharpening in Photoshop. You do not want the scanner to be the weak link.

The RZ lenses are excellent, do develop your own black and white film, it's easy and will radically improve both the quality and the control you have over the process. As Edward said, you will need the glass carrier to realize all the quality from the Nikon. The bad news is that they are hard to find these days as are the glass carriers but if you persevere, you'll do ok.

Good luck.

Eric

Thanks for all your responses. based on them ive concluded that theres no way on earth im gonna get the quality scan for a cheaper scanner opposed to the one used in the lab. I didnt realized until today that everyone scans for the most part and no one prints colors from the negatives for you. Am i wrong that you can still get the best print by direct print the old fashioned way from the negative, or is the difference from a top quality scan negligible. I suspect its not for a normal to mid size print. After listening to all your advice im concluding that scanning is the normal way to go. Im still doing my b/w's on my own the old fashioned way eventually. even my lab guy recommended that. thanks