I need help for epson 3170 scanning

Hello. I just received a 3170 epson perfection scanner. I purchased it just for upload my negatives and positives to

web pages, so professional quality prints are not in my home scanning interest. I' m absolute novice to scanning,

and I need your help. I tryed a couple of scanning from 35mm b&W negative strips, and from 35mm slides. I selected

from the settings : professional mode - 48 bit color for slides - 16 bit for B&W- 3200 dpi quality - original dimension.

The files I obtained are not at all good, not only for prints they look very bad also for web presentations. And those

files are about 8 Mb...! I' ve seen images in web sites for web presentations about 500x400 pixels and they look

much much better then my 8 Mb scans . So, I tryed : professional mode- 48 bit color or 16 bit B&W - 300 dpi - A3

dimension. The scans are not good at all. And the file about 4-5 mb. Is there someting wrong in the scanner? What

is the absolute setting to obtain the max absolute resolution and quality using epson 3170 ? Do I need photoshop or

can I do a nice web presentation using only the epson scanning program ? Thank you. Ciao. Marco.

What do you mean, "are not at all good"?

Unsharp?

The 3170 isn't the best option for 35mm which I'm sure you are aware but you should be able to get something you won't be

too ashamed of. The major issue I've seen with this series flatbeds is sharpness.

I have a 4870 which is in the same series and when I have to use it for 35mm it will help to press the negatives in a heavy

book for 12 or so hours to get them flat as possible.

Can you post a sample?