Is the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L + 1.4x teleconverter good enough?

andrew_branson

I currently own a 70-300mm 4-5.6 with IS, and would like to know whether I should keep it or not.

I have a 70-200mm f/2.8L on the way, and was thinking about just buying a 1.4x to add on to it, to get the longer

focal lengths when necessary.

Besides a standpoint of weight, will I benefit from keeping my older 70-300mm?

Thanks!

Andrew

apbstudio.com

Hi Andrew

The short answer - yes and yes, or at least that's what I did.

I have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I use it with the 1.4x. I find that combination to be quicker and a tad better

IQ at maximum reach than the 70-300, which I also own. I use the L (with and without the 1.4x) when IQ and

performance are paramount and the 70-300 when size and weight (or lack thereof) are paramount - I bought the

70-300 for that purpose alone and have not regretted it. I find that the 70-300 stands up well to the the L -

though not as good it is not put to shame. My advice - keep the 70-300 for a while to see if you need it, and

then make a decision about its future.

Cheers, Bob

You won't have this problem to worry about if you don't buy the 1.4XTC. I also have the three items that you

listed.Canon 1.4X TC is the odd one out of the bag. IMO (2 cents), it is better off with 300mm+ tele. I do keep a $50

used Kenko 1.5X in the bag for just in case. It is cheap, light weight, hardly take up space and fits everythings.

From my personal experience, the Extender 1.4x works extremely well on the 70~200/4L IS, which is consistent with Bob's comment on his experience with the f/2.8 version. These are probably two of the very few exceptions to the sound general advice that teleconverters/Extenders are best limited to use on long primes. That applies even more to the Extender 2x than the Extender 1.4x.

"A 1.4x on a 70-200 will reduce the IQ of that lens I would not recomend it, I think the 1.4x should only be used on long fast primes. Ross"

Disagree. Like Bob I have no IQ loss at all with the 1.4tc attached at 200mm. Maybe Tommy has a bad one or calibration is needed somewhere.

From your post it appears that you ordered the non-IS version of the 70-200. For that reason alone I would keep the 70-300. Also for the smaller lighter form factor. You'll appreciate that on long shoots in the field.

Hi,

I'm pretty picky, but I'll use the 1.4X on 70-200/2.8 IS when I don't happen to have my 300mm with me. There's a slight loss of IQ with that particular lens and TC combo, however it's very slight.

I won't use the 2X on that lens, and don't recommend the combo, due to too much loss of IQ (in my opinion... I know some others use it and are okay with it). I have no problems using the 2X on 300mm and 500mm lenses. Works great on those.

In both cases, the TCs I use are Canon Mark II. I've heard some of the third party 1.4X are the equal of the Canon 1.4X in terms of IQ, but I don't have any direct experience with them and don't know if that would be the case with the 70-200 in particular.

Over the years using a number of different TCs with various lenses and systems, I've found that sometimes one will work great with a particular lens or a few lenses, but not with others.

Canon's are designed primarily for use with the tele primes 135mm and up. But, I consider the 70-200/2.8 + 1.4X II a safe bet, too, simply from my own experience with it.

I too have the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS with a 1.4x II TC. I've been very pleased with the results, but the combo is a bit hefty and I don't use it when just the 70-200 will do...

Something no one has mentioned is that you get ~280mm @ f/4 with the combo. Useful when you need the extra speed...

I use the 1.4X Mk I with good results on the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. If it's just long reach I want I'll use the 300 f/4 IS with or without the 1.4, but if I need the versatility of the zoom, the 1.4 definitely produces acceptable images.

It is my understanding that the newer 1.4 is optically identical to the older, it just added weather sealing. Since I shoot with a 50D and 30D, weather sealing doesn't make much of a difference. It's also considerably cheaper on the used market.

Either there is a typo in the question, or the thread has headed off on a wrong assumption:

Andrew states: ``I have a 70-200mm f/2.8L on the way`` there is no mention of IS.

To answer the question, as asked, I suggest keeping the 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS: because it has IS and that will most likely be useful.

On the other hand, I have the EF70 to 200F/2.8L and use it regularly with the x1.4MkII and the results are just short of excellent.

If you are CERTAIN you not will never need the IS, then I suggest selling the 70 to 300.

If indeed you are buying the 70 to 20F2.8L IS, then I suggest selling the 70 to 300 and buying the x1.4MkII.

BUT in either case, prudence dictates waiting a few months and using both lenses, as Bob King first suggested, there will be plenty of x1.4MkII to buy in December.

WW

70-200 f/.8 IS L and 1.4x TC works great.

I use the combo as a backup when my primary is either a 400 f/2.8 or 600 f/4.

Use this combo as primary when shooting breaking news.

Backup is 24-70 L.

I think IQ means image quality.

Quality not a problem with the combo.

Shoot with 1dMkIIN