Michigan photography

karin_connolly

Certainly the UP is the place for nature/ wildlife. If you are just going to Detroit area, you will have a long trip ahead of you to get to the best places above the bridge. Seney Wildlife Refuge is in the central part or the UP with lots of flying things, including mosquitoes. As to things like waterfalls, lakes, and streams, your best bet is around the Copper Country (Keeweenaw Peninsula, and just south of it.) There are about 200 waterfalls in the UP and only one of any signicance in the LP. For true nature, go to Isle Royale in Lake Superior.

Look up Michigan's Department of Natural Resources website.

Alex

There are lots and lots of places off the beaten track in Michigan to do nature photography any time of the year. I have been going up there regularly to photograph birds, but opportunities exist for all sorts of nature photography as Ken's website shows. There should be plenty of wildflowers around still in late June.

The farther north you go the better it is. My favorite area of Michigan is the eastern UP (I've never been to the western side), but there are many out-of-the-way spots to explore in the northern Lower Peninsula too. Traffic is usally no sweat once north of the Saginaw Bay, and getting up there doesn't usually take long. I can usually get from my home in Columbus, OH to the Mackinaw Bridge in 7 hours. Universal Maps publishes detailed maps for all areas of northern Michigan which can usually be picked up at gas stations in the areas you're in. Also recommended are the USFS maps for venturing onto forest roads in the Huron or Hiawatha National Forests. They can be picked up at forest headquarters in Mio (for Huron) and St.Ignace, Sault Ste.Marie, or Munising (for Hiawatha). That's all you really need to get out and explore. There are many bogs in the eastern UP that will have better light for most types of photography in June compared to the forests with dense deciduous vegetation.

As everyone else mentioned, insects will be fierce in June, so be prepared.

I have several trip reports at my website :

www.roysephotos.com

that deal primarily with the birding.