D80 & MB-D80 Performance

tommie_porter

Has anybody seen any performance problems when using a MB-D80 battery grip on a D80? Specifically I'm seeing

slower (searching) AF performance in low light. Continuous frame rate drops off as well as the shutter feeling

"cheap", "slow", and "plastically" (for lack of better words) when fired. When I use the D80 without the grip,

everything goes back to normal. The battery grip works fine on a friend's D90. I'm just wondering if anybody else is

seeing anything like this.

Regards,

TP

Hmm, no not at all. I just recently used my mb-d80 on my d80 to shoot a wedding and had no problems. Everything

focused accurately as well. As for the framerate I also shot a youth football game with it with no problems with my

framerate. I'm not sure what you're encountering. I must say the grips shutter release is quite crappy with no halfway point

and I also have issues with it coming loose and i've only had it for a few weeks.

I also checked around and saw no one else encountering the same issues. Check the contacts on your grip and make sure

they are clean inside your camera and on the grip itself. Maybe that will solve the problem?

There should be no performance difference. The pins in your grip may not be making proper electrical contact with your camera or you may have a defective grip. I suggest you contact Nikon tech support so they can get your problem corrected.

No functional problems with mine. As others have said, the large plastic wheel used to tighten the connection between the

MB-D80 and the D80 body loosens up on it's own. Even when tightened, there is some slight play between the battery grip

and camera body, so I remove it when using the camera on a tripod unless the lens I'm using has a tripod collar.

I suspect there is a problem involving one or more of the several gold plated retractable pins on the MB-D80 making proper

contact within your D80.

The contacts seem good. No dust or dirt in the camera or on the grip. How about one of you guys

unattach your grip and see if you don't see a difference in the way the shutter feels? Honestly, I didn't

know how cheap the shutter felt until I played w/ a co-workers D300.

TP