Recessed lensboard for Orbit

john_wiegerink1

I have a "like new" 4x5 Orbit mono-rail view camera that I'm looking to find recessed lens-board for. I have a 75mm f8

Schneider SA that I want to use and need a recessed lens board to use it. I search eBay, but always come up

empty. Is there another camera manufactures board that will work (even with a little modification) in the Orbit. I

was thinking the old Graphic View recessed board might work. I had one of those years ago and if I remember right

it looks like it would fit.

Vick, I have kept my eyes peeled for one on eBay, but must have missed the recessed ones. I see standard boards,

but no recessed for the Orbit. I know some other brands will work I'm just trying to figure out which ones. The Orbit

board has a beveled edge just like the old Graphic View board did, but I don't know about the others.

I don't think the old Graphic View boards will fit; I bought one of the Orbit boards by mistake for my Cambo (it was listed as a Calumet recessed board), but gave it away to a friend with the Calumet version of the camera. You need to look for one made for your camera under one of the three brands for which it was made. If they don't specify the dementions, ask the seller. Sooner or later, one will show up on eBay, but if you don't want to wait, e-mail the major sellers, Calumet (might still have some), KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc., one of them is bound to have one in their "used equipment" departments. If they have photos, one way to spot this board is that one of the "sides" of the recessed area (the "box") is not square to the front of the board...it tapers in to clear the lensboard opening on top.

Just was looking at the KEH site at used equipment, so I checked on recessed boards...they have 4"x4" recessed Calumet boards that are probably what you need. These are not as deep as the one I had, so I don't know if they'll have the tapered top on the box like the one I had. I'd give them a call and talk with them to make sure you get the right board; they are easy to deal with and have a pretty liberal return policy. One thing, though...at $47.00, these boards aren't cheap!

$47.00 is fine with me as far as the price goes, but the quirks are not. That's why I have had a hard time finding one. I have to measure my 75mm f8 SA again, but if memory serves me right it's the OO size hole and that's a bugger to find. Vick, I'm in no hurry and can wait a bit, but was just trying to find out if anybody new where to locate one at a reasonable price. I did see one on eBay a while back, but the starting bid was $99.00 and I never got too excited about that one.

Ya' know, you can change the size of the hole in those things, huh??? If its smaller than you need, drill or grind it out; if its bigger than you need, drill or grind out the hole to a little larger than the shutter, then glue a 1/8" plywood or aluminuim panel on the back of the recessed box and drill the size hole you need. Doing that even makes it slightly more recessed! :-)