500c auxiliary shutter

jon_shumpert1

Hi I just bought a very nice hasselblad 500c from a local photographerand have a question regarding the auxiliary

shutter. When I press the shutter release the shutter opens as it should but the top part of the shutter does not go

all the way up. The bottom one seems to work fine. My question is whether this is normal operation for the upper

part of the shutter? I'm sure it is not, but I have been wrong before. Would it be expensive to repair it? Thanks. Jon

The shutter is crimped onto the pin on which it rotates, and over time it slips a around the pin a bit. I surmise this happens because the mirror bounces back off its foam damper and hits the shutter curtain at top of its swing. The fix is surprisingly simple: hold the axle still and push the curtain back around it.

Thanks for the responses. I just picked up the roll of slide I shot yesterday and they confirmed my suspicions. The image was soft along the edge due to the curtain partially blocking the light path. I was thinking of calling the person who I bought it from and asking for a refund, but I got such a great deal on it. I got the 500c with 80/2.8 cf lens and 2 a12 backs and about a dozen rolls of film. She also included a stoboframe bracket. I think I will probably just get the body repaired. Any suggestions where to get the repair done? Thanks again everyone. Jon

Hi again. I think I may try to sell the camera instead of getting my money back from the person I got it from. I looked on KEH to get an idea of what to price it at. Are the keh prices realistic when selling a camera as an individual? Thanks for the link to your website David. If I keep it I will be sending it for repair in a few weeks. Bruce, I live in Charleston, SC. Thanks again everyone. Jon