Trouble focusing with D300

joshloeser

Josh, this is a common problem when your subject may be in the background. For example, trying to photograph a bird behind leaves will often focus first on the leaves, not the bird.

There are a few fixes for this. The obvious one is to focus manually. Increasing DOF is another possibility. Another option is to use single point focusing. In any case, you almost certainly don't want to use the huge 51-pt focusing system. Stick with something smaller, not larger than 21-pt, and work your way down from there.

• 1 year later...

<p>I thought I had a focusing problem with my D300 w/ 18-200 VR (3.5) but I think it is something else, something that got inadvertently toggled awhile back and I can't figure it out. When I am shooting w/flash (SB-600) a simple 3-person shot or a CU of a performer, I press down on the shutter but it does not respond. Not a focus issue as I believe I am in focus. Yesterday, at a Jerry Jeff Walker concert (night with flash) I had multiple incidents of the shutter refusing to fire. I had to keep turning the camera on and off quickly and maybe got one or two bursts off before same thing happened. I have been in both Continuous and Single mode but same thing. Is this similar to the focusing problem others are having?</p>

<p>Jim Higgins</p>