Need help for extra lighting fro formals and reception for a night wedding and reception in a dark hall/venue.

t_c16

I need extra lighting for a wedding in a few weeks. I'm a bit confused as to what to get. I'm considering a

simple lighting set-up that's easy to set up. My budget is probably around $150-$200. I have the NIkon SB600 plus

the Fong Lightsphere but the place has dark ceilings so there's nowhere to bounce light from there. I'm

considering buying a monolight with an umbrella and stand. I've never used one of these on location. So sorry if

I ask some stupid questions. Do I need to plug the light into an outlet for these? I think the monopod is a

continuos light system. I really don't need anything fancy or hard to learn since I only have a few weeks to

"practice" the setup. If there is anything you have used or if there's anything you would recommend, it would be

so helpful! Thanks.

We need more info. A picture of the place inside would help. Unfotunately, there isn't one answer to setting up what are called 'room lights' at a wedding/reception. It depends on what you are using for lights, the configuration of the place and what color the walls AND ceiling are. Also what effect you are after.

For instance, now that the D3, D700 and D300 do better with high ISO, some people are just shooting high ISO with one on camera flash, dragging the shutter, which, by the way, you should know very well. And formals lighting is different from setting up room lights. An umbrella might work well for formals, but almost certainly won't help your room lights. Perhaps you can elaborate and possibly describe or post a picture of the place.

Thanks for responding Nadine. I've always shot with an on camera flash, higher ISO;s , dragging the shutter etc. I just haven't used extra lighting for weddings. The place is dark...very dark...almost like a log cabin with dark brown woods, dark brown walls and dark brown floors. I'm not sure how the place will be lit for the reception. I'll be going there this Friday to check.

I'm thinking of using an umbrella for formals and just shoot with on camera flash for the reception & candids. Any suggestions on what to get for a 1 or 2 umbrella set up for formals? Thank so much for your time.

If you're already using high ISO, I'd just get a shoemount flash, an umbrella, a stand and stand/umbrella adapter and a pair of Cybersyncs or Skyports (transmitter and receiver). A Vivitar 285, Sunpak 383, or any moderately powerful flash would work. Maybe you already have one. As long as it can be run in manual flash mode, and has some partial power settings, it will work. Or, another Nikon flash that will work in i-TTL, although I know that some people have problems with the range and reliability of triggering. That's for the formals.

Add another shoemount and receiver and you will have two flashes to place around the room(s). That kind of situation isn't so troubling because it is dark as it is for casting a reddish tint to everything. The wood gives off that color cast. Even if shooting RAW, you may want to do a custom white balance. If you use several off camera flashes, though, the white balance will be cleaner.

How big it the room or rooms? How high is the ceiling? Off camera flashes are more successful in larger rooms. In very small spaces, the light is harsher and hard to keep out of your frame.