Tamron 200-500mm for Pentax?

stefanoleonardi

Apparently Tamron dos not make the 200-500mm F/5-6.3 for Pentax.

Is there a way to mount such zoom on a Pentax K10D?

...maybe using some kind of Adaptall adapter? Does anyone has any experience/information about this?

If I wanted a lens about 500mm long for my K10D, what are the alternatives?

Thank you! Any comment is appreciated.

Stefano

<p>What Justin is referring to is the monster 3.7" x 8.6" (at 50mm), extending to over a foot (at 500mm), 86mm

filter size, "Bigma":</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3307&navigator=3">Sigma APO 50-500mm

F4-6.3 EX DG HSM</a></p>

<p>At 10x zoom, don't expect wonders, but it does give you the "ultimate" telezoom in a decent (although not fast

at all) size for the range. It runs around a grand:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.google.com/products?q=Pentax+Sigma+50-500&btnG=Search+Products">Froogle search 'Pentax

Sigma 50-500'</a></p>

Tamron doesn't make this lens for pentax mount. However I do own the 1980's tamron straight f5.6 adaptall 2 version and it works quite well on the long end, but its manual focus only.

Another option which is autofocus is buying a used F or newer FA 250-600mm f5.6 and as luck would have it theres one for sale on ebay.

$5,837 to your door:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260298457172

I usually check the local Craig's list about once a week or so for camera gear. Last month a guy was selling a Tamron 28-70 and some K mount primes along with a bigma all very reasonably priced. I was a big late for the Tamron and the primes (really wated the Tamron), but he still had the bigma. I seldom shoot long lenses and was not that interested in the Bigma; (the longest thing in my bag is a Sigma 70-300 APO). Long story short he emailed me back a couple of days latter and made me an offer on the bigma along with an 86mm pro UV filter that I just could not say no to.

Some thoughts on the bigma. Yep, it's big (duh).. But it does not feel as big as the specs make it sound and I find it quite manageable. For events and such (carring it hours at a time) it's certainly better on a mono-pod, but it is quite useable hand held. It balances well for a lens of it's size and it's a heck of a lot lighter than some older monster M42 lens. Optically it's better than I expected from a superzoom but as you'd guess it's not as it's best at either extreme of the focus range. Due to it's speed I consider it mostly a daylight lens. Build wise, being a Sigma EX series it's quite nice. The versatility of this thing is just insane; it's great if you don't know what you might be shooting. For the money I don't think you can get better quality or longer for less money and the versality is just a bonus. Sigma's new APO 120-400mm is promised for K mount, but who knows when it will start shipping. I think the Bigma is definitely worth having a look at if you want a long telezoom, it's common enough you should be able to find one at a local pro camera shop and try it out on a C/N body.

/Roger

Another probably decent solution (I'm sure there are some here who have tried it) might be a Sigma 100-300 f/4 + f/1.4TC, yielding a 140-420 f/5.6. There are a number of zooms going from somewhere between 80 and 120 up to 400 at f/5.6 though perhaps it's not quite the same category as something going to 500mm.

If we're talking AF focus speed in good light on a k20d / k10d it's fine. Once in the right range from the first focus subsequent AF locks are about as fast as most of my FA/DA lenses. Certainly not as fast as an SDM lenses but much, much faster than something like a long throw macro.

If you're talking about acquiring focus in low light then yes it's slow especially at 500mm where it's f/6.3 (though my usually camera reads f/6.7) at the long end, so yep it will hunt, it's pushing a lot of glass and has a lot of trouble getting an AF lock in low light. But it will usually auto focus in low light closer to the f/4 50mm end then you can zoom / tweak.

This lens is definitely not for everyone and I'm sure yet that it will have a permanent place in my bag. But it's been fun playing with it. The versatility is unmatched, optically it's pretty good and where else are you going to get 500mm at f/6.3 for under $1K?

Thank you for all the answers.

Basically there are only three solutions:

- 300mm + 1.4 TC (possibly the Pentax DA* 300mm f/4)

- The old Sigma 50-500mm Bigma

- The new Sigma 150-500mm HSD but I don't thinks it is available for Pentax right now.

It seems to that the first option is lighter to carry but the last two have the extra reach I would probably need.

Should I wait for the Pentax mount of the new 150-500? What do you think ?

Stefano

Stefano: a lot depends on YOUR needs. Only you can answer that part. Do you need the flexibility of a zoom, at the

cost of being slower (aperture wise) at the long end? All of the suggestions are good, no question - especially if cost

is a consideration.

I'm willing to carry longer, heavier (more $$$) lenses for my type of work and the desire for the best IQ possible,

since I often shoot with prime super telephotos. The FA* 300/2.8 is ~ just as long (with hood), but heavier than the

Bigma. At over $4000, the Sigma 500/4.5 is beyond most folks price point. It's a fantastic lens.

May I suggest you check fredmiranda.com and look at the Sigma lens reviews? They are very honest in their

opinions (being owners, not just testers), and you can see what the Sigma 150-500 owners (Canon mount) think of

that lens.

Regards,

Marc