Backup Camera Strategy

michael_hogan

After my latest round of upgrades to my Nikon Digital System -- I migrated from a D2x to D700 as my primary

camera ~two weeks ago. I used a D80 as a backup which was always awkward and almost never used -- I am now

selling the backup off in the endless upgrade cycle of the DSLR.

This has got me thinking; I mainly shoot portraits and do retouching / restoration jobs to pay the rent. I still do a

few weddings and commercial assignments etc.. But I am questioning the wisdom of tying up funds in backup

DSLR bodies - I am considering just renting a backup DSLR when needed only..

This is how I deal with lighting for instance -- I have one pack / 3 heads / modifiers etc (all Profoto) and I just rent

extra packs when and if I need them for a job.. These DSLRs keep getting better and cheaper so I am considering

a different approach to manage this situation..

Note that I still have two LF systems in my studio (table top work) with no plans to upgrade in that area.. I love

what digital has done for my workflow commercially -- I am just questioning the wisdom of *always* having an

additional $3-5K tied up in something that deprecates so fast; and since it’s a backup – it gets almost no use..

I'd like to hear what others are doing to manage the DSLR ‘planned obsolescence' issue...

-Mike

I can`t remember the last time I needed a backup because my camera failed... if so, many many years ago. What I have really used is two bodies to avoid lens switching or two bodies (two outfits) to be used on different locations in order to avoid the pain of carrying the bag from one place to another.

I`d not spend on a second expensive body unless you need to use both every day. To have a $3-5K body collecting dust is a waste of money, IMHO. If you`re afraid about a sudden failure of your "main" camera, have a second cheap body for family use or wait for the failure to run to the shop and buy whatever you need at this moment... they will be waiting for you.

I get your point. If renting is an easy option for you (shop is around the corner) then I would seriously consider doing that. Let the shops worry about depreciation. It is also a good way to handle some new dlsr's whenever they come out and you have a commercial job, just rent one for 2 days, play around on day 1 and then shoot on day 2.

Sounds like a plan I might adopt myself. Now to find a shop that rents at reasonable rates here in the Netherlands.

A brand new D80 is now around US$600. How much can you possibly get by selling your used one?

It seems to me that you already have a good backup camera for weddings.

If people are paying you to capture the memories from their big day, IMO having at least one backup camera body is a must. I would prefer a wedding photographer to have two (or more) backups. The backup doesn't need to be the latest and greatest; a decent camera that can get the basic job done just in case the primary fails is fine.

For the small amount you'd get from resale of the D80 - I'd hang on to it as the backup. You've already paid for it, so you'd save any money spent renting a D700 or D3.

Having a backup for any commercial or paying gig isn't an option - it's a requirement. The last thing you want to be doing is telling a bride or client - hold on while I run to "Big Box Camera" and get a new body because mine just died.

Dave

LOL, well, I understand that if I were a serious full time wedding photographer surely I`d have at least two high end bodies with attached normal and tele zooms in my bag. If I were shooting pinneaple cans at my studio for a brochure or web site I can always take my wife`s D40 as a backup, or cross the street and buy whatever in the next shop (those who doesn`t live in a city cannot do this, thought... ).

Jose / Roeland -- The last time I had a camera totally tank on me was back in 1992 (I think).. You are right -- It's not something that happens very often. But back in the film SLR days camera bodies had a much longer life cycle. DSLR -- I think the 'D' is for disposable.. After 18 months or so and they are obsolete.

I agree with you about having an -identical- extra body with a different lens setup etc.. But I find it awkward to use two different camera models - the controls are always different enough to be off-putting; especially when you are in the middle of a portrait sitting. So the way I see it I am up for two identical bodies (in my case D700 X2).. So why not just rent a spare for jobs that require it -- and of course cost that in?

I have two (different) LF systems in my studio (8X10 and a 4X5) lenses etc -- and I have never considered a backup LF system LOL! Of course clients that want to pay for 8X10 are getting rare these days -- but the jobs do come up..

Shun, Joe, David, -- I know I'm not going to get much for a used D80 but as a backup for the D700 it's just not going to cut it.. FX -vs- DX for a start -- controls are different etc.. Weddings are not work that I chase but I do shoot a few each year. I don't have a problem just renting a backup D700 for the weekend and factoring that into the job.

If I was shooting weddings every weekend (I'd rather be horse-whipped!) I would not question the expense. But I mainly shoot portraits and other commercial stuff -- also I do quite a bit restoration and retouching work. Portrait and retouching comprise ~70% of my income. If my camera keels during a portrait shoot it's not (generally) the end of the world. I sure wish I had $1.00 for every client that called with some lame excuse to cancel a shoot at the last moment! I guess depends on who the sitter is etc.. If I get a commission for the Governor General I'm going to have a plan B of course.

I just don't see using a DX format camera that has different handling characteristics as a smart move. Tying up $3-5K in a camera that I don't use regularly seems silly too; in 18 months it's going to be time to upgrade.. I can rent a D700 (or buy) on short notice..

It’s great to hear different opinions on this subject – I have not seen much discussion on it. It’s a big issue for me now that I have gone DSLR/FX – The D80 was OK to backup the D2x as both were DX format… -Mike

I bought a D40 18/135 for $475 as a back up. I could not get a body only and this seemed to be a decent deal.

It became a well used camera as it is light weight and small and easy to take on walks. The photos are as nice as my D200. The lens is not my favorite, but I can add any lens I want.

It also mounts bellows without a hassle and I use it for close up work when I need that capability.

Keep the D80 or buy a D60 for back up. Some people use a film camera as a back up.

Another Shun & Ronald vote. I have a lot of lenses instead. My backup cam right now is a D40x with a battery grip. Seems funny to put a 17-55mm/2.8 and an SB-800 on that body. But, I also got tired of endless cycle of spending. I have a D300 for my main cam. IQ is nearly identical.

Works for me. The problem is, technology is increasing at a rate that just about any body purchased can be interpreted as disposable. That is not to insult your D700 or anyone else's cam bod.

Keep your D80 and just dress it up with a nice lens(es) and flash if necessary. And yes, you will need and use a backup cam. I have been shooting for 30 years and have had camera failure twice in the recent past. Both times I had two backups to save the shoot.

Good luck.

Sorry Michael, I simply do not share your logic at all. I bought my first Nikkormat back in 1977. While I am not a

professional photographer, I do photograph a lot and have used my Nikons at very harsh environments such as the

Arctic, Antarctic and 3 times in Africa. In 31 years, none of my Nikons has ever failed in the field.

I assume we are merely talking about a backup for just in case. So I don't see why having a slightly different body

being such a major issue. For a few years I used my F5/D2X side by side with a Contax 645 with no problems,

talking about toally different controls. The D80 actually uses the same battery as the D700; the main issue is

different memory cards.

I also don't share the opinion that DSLRs are "obsolote" in 18 months. Believe it or not, the D3 was announced in

August 2007. That was 14 months ago already, and even though the D700 was announced 3 months ago, it pretty

much shares all the now 14-month-old technology as the D3.

Personally, except for the cheapest consumer bodies, I think all Nikon DSLRs since the 2004/2005 D2X are quite

good. I shot a few weddings with the D2X back in 2005 and it was just fine. It wouldn't be my first choice now as the low-

light performance has improved drastically since then, but the D2X is a perfectly capable backup today and so are

the D200, D80, etc.

But anyway, it is your money to spend. I don't know about in Australia, but here in the US, renting DSLRs is

somehow very expensive, from US$100 to $250 per day at my local pro store. (There is now an exception, though:

Borrow Lenses .com.) If you don't mind the expense and hassle every time, renting is an option, but what happens if

the rental D700 is not available for the day you want?

Michael -

Sounds like you've made up your mind...

Agree on the last second cancels - they tend to drive you nuts.

But at the same time think about it from the consumer's view - having been on the other end of the photographic

food chain - it's more than a minor inconvenience when the photographer's equipment fails - it's happened to my

family twice in the last year.

1st time was at a photo studio - This studio has done all of our kids photos and they have a frame / finish

that my wife likes and I can't do as cheap as they do... so we pack them up and go... Get there, get the kids

ready, and start shooting... about 2 shots in the camera dies. Photographer has no clue - I look at it (it's a

D70) and see the blinking screen of death...remove battery, reset, no luck... Studio has another room but it is

booked, plus the room we are in is booked solid... No backup camera around. So I have an irate spouse, kids mad,

and no photos. The two shots she did get, no good since kids aren't cooperating yet.

We're not going back there again anytime soon.

2nd time - Oldest kid is doing school registration thing. the school has approximately 200 6th graders coming

in, paying fees, and getting their photos taken... with 3 lines going... progress is good. All of a sudden one of

the 3 cameras dies. Of course it does so early in the process so now you've got about 200 people in two lines...

plus mother's who want johnny's or jane's 6 th grade photo to be perfect. This wasn't some mom and pop operation

either. One of the largest school photo co's in the U.S. - I asked one of their minions why no backup gear? Oh we

don't have failures! Hello - you just had one! Well yeah, but all of the gear is out on other shoots anyway.

WHAT? well yeah it's school night and we have 20 plus schools... (After about 45 minutes a new camera showed

up...they were able to get a hold of someone who's shoot finished early and convince him to drive over.)

For the prices they charge, they could bloody well have 3 backups at each site!

The good thing (if there is a good thing...) is that this time there were about 150 annoyed parents (not just me).

Point is anything / everything mechanical / electrical will eventually fail. For me, renting isn't a cost

effective or convenient option - so I have multiple bodies. If one goes down, the next is right there ready to go.

Dave

Michael,

I understand that you don't shoot many weddings, but not matter what the assignment is, it's just not responsible to go without a backup. Sure, you may not have experienced a failure in 10+ years, but that doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow.

Renting is a decent option. However the cost to rent a good digital body (D2X or similar) for a day is about $100 - at least where I rent locally. It doesn't take too many days of rental to make purchasing a body the better financial decision.

For whatever reason, it sounds like having a backup with a drastically different interface is a big problem for you. That being the case, the logical backup for you sounds like the D300. Its interface is virtually identical to the D700, has low-light performance that's almost as good, and costs significantly less than $3-5,000.

If I were in your shoes and rarely (if ever) had an actual need for a backup, I'd hold onto the D80. If the backup is used more often and I need to have similar controls, the D300 is the answer.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've generally gotten so used to whatever bodie(s) I'm using at any given time that when I upgrade, using the older model as a backup is a snap. Our previous setup for weddings/events was a D2x and D200 with a pair of D70s for backup. When we switched to the D3 and D300, the D2x and D200 became the backups, and the D70s got sold. I guess because at that level, the basic controls are pretty much all the same so it wasn't a big deal. I don't know about the D80 - I'm guessing it's not as close to the D700 as the D300 might be, but its still Nikon and conceptually, I would stick with that as a backup rather then sell it off until I felt it was an absolute necessity to have identical rigs. --Rich

Shun, to clarify myself: all electronics are obsolete and disposable by the time they hit the sales shelf at the current rate of tech engineering. However, that does not make a photographer obsolete or disposable. I do work full time as a photographer and am always trying to balance keeping up with the Jones' and managing a very thriving business in the retail capitol of the world.

If one can afford it, duping a second cam with the same model is a great choice. If the budget doesn't allow, then there are the above options. We still use D200s, D80s.

I don't mind at all going between models, but I spend a ton of time with my gear and read here more than I post.

I am 50. I hope I am not obsolete. However, gear is to be enjoyed and used per each person's affinity and choice. But in shear tech terms, the gear is already being designed to be replaced by Nikon, Canon, and whomever by the time the marketing guys are writing pre-release "leaks". Not a bad thing as I still find joy in shooting that old decrepit, noisy D200.

Thus endeth the sermon.

Ronald / David – It’s funny you mention the D40 – I have one too; it’s mainly for my wife / family use.. I bought it with the standard 18-55 kit lens for a song.. Great little camera! I would not use it as a pro backup, though I’m not sure why not! hmm It makes great images, it’s light fast & compact.. My wife might not like the idea though.. ; )

I have used the D80 in the studio with similar results to the D2x – it’s a nice camera – no doubt.

Shun – I appreciate your feedback.. But just because I am a pro doesn’t mean I subject my camera’s to hash treatment. This is a big myth that pro’s abuse their gear.. We take better care of our gear than anyone – it’s out bred and butter! It’s amateurs that thrash their gear and do silly things with lenses etc. There are exceptions – pro sports photographers come to mind..

DSLR’s are announced and hyped ad-nauseum months before they are widely available. In reality they are obsolete on the day of purchase – 18 months is even a stretch. I think the D2x is still just fine ditto for the D200 and D80 but they are now old hat in DSLR terms. Even the D300 is on it’s way out with the D90 below and the D700 above it, how much longer will it last in the market? I’d buy a D90 before a D300 without hesitation.

The D700 pretty much obsoletes the D3 – for $2K less – I don’t know anyone planning to buy a D3 since the introduction of the D700. I know several guys trying to sell their D3’s while they can still get decent money for them. The D3 was announced 14 months ago – now the D700 has trumped it! Like I said 18 months is stretching it…

A D700 rents for $150.00 (AUD) a day here in Australia – pretty cheap in the scheme of things..

David H – Your first example is more the type of work I do. I can’t help but think of other scenarios like power failure would put the kybosh on a shoot as well. This has happened to me a few times in the studio – prolonged power outage = no lighting = shoot cancelled.. Now should I invest in a generator just in case? Don’t laugh I have colleges that have don’t just that..

Example two – I don’t do high volume “cattle call” work – but if I did I would not even ask the question about a backup body. Agree that everything eventually fails – the question is how to best manage the risk. There is no way to eliminate it. If there was a cheap (<$1,500.00) FX format camera it would simplify things..

Eric – Exactly my thoughts..

Dan – $100 a day might add up quick; might not – but it’s an operating expense not Cap Ex. So it’s a direct write off, easy – unless the costs are drastically higher than buying – you also pay as you go.. You make some good points – maybe I should keep my D80..

Rich – You are forgetting that the D700 is FX – so throw that into the equation too. Different handling + different format + different ISO capabilities = confusion.. I think my D80 has like 600 actuations on it – that’s how much I have used it..

I have NOT made up my mind on this issue – otherwise I would not be posting here. The feedback on this subject has been great! -Mike

Michael, I never brought up the issue about some pros absuing their equipment in this thread; I wonder why you even mentioned that. However, I have personal whitnessed some pros totally abusing their gear (again, not every one), but that is another totally different topic.

Again, unlike your own camera, a rental is not necessarily always there at the time you need it. Even though you prefer the rental route, I would keep the D80 or perhaps just the D40 around just in case.

The D40 is consumer grade, but it is still a lot better than having no working camera at all in the middle of a wedding.

Shun – Yes some pros do abuse their gear, but armatures scare me allot more! Maybe I miss-read your post – I thought you were inferring harsh treatment of SLR as a reason for always having a backup.. Sorry if I miss-read..

There are some jobs that require a backup – the question is do I rent ‘as needed’ or buy and cop the depreciation, cap ex hit etc. I would NEVER shoot a wedding without a backup camera, flash and at least one good assistant – what if I get ill or injured on the day or during. These things happen. I have to hire an assistant; I just cost that into the job – why not take the same approach to the DSLR body?

I don’t agree with a previous poster stating that “Having a backup for any commercial or paying gig isn't an option - it's a requirement” – This is just not true. One could argue the same for always having a good assistant. It depends on the job and what the client is willing to pay for.. I’m not going to pay for an assistant for a simple portrait shoot – I’d have to pass on the cost and ultimately loose clients.. There is a point of diminishing return here..

Some good points have been made both ways; I’m on the fence… -Mike

Always, always have a a backup.

Here is my story: from 2002 to 2005 I used a Nikon F100. Two times it went to nikon service. Each time from 4 to 6 weeks without it. I had to buy a N80 then

From 2005 to 2008 I used a Nikon D70. Also, two times it went to service. I had to purchase a Nikon D40x.

All bodies were new and purchased in Adorama. If your camera has no problem you are lucky.

Just remember, they CAN FAIL. If doesnt matter if is a D3, D300 or D700. They are not perfect

Carlos Rodriguez

How do you choose which jobs require backup equipment and which jobs don't. If a customer is going to a studio for a portrait shoot then the photographer should have enough equipment available to finish the job should equipment fail that would also include studio lights. You would expect to get your hair cut if the stylists scissors got broken, you would expect your car repaired if the mechanics wrench got broken, cameras are just tools better to have a backup than not.

Shun: I need to take into account the amount of info you see here. My bad. Yes, some pros do abuse their gear. I have seen it for years on D1 college sporting events. Tossing a 5000 dollar cam bod and not telling how much invested in lenses around like a rag doll.

You do a great job here and I was not busting your chops. If you work for me and do not know your gear and the art of photography as well as take excellent care of your equipment, you won't last.

Michael Hogan. I know it seems crazy to use a D40x as a backup, but with the right flash and right lens, the IQ is virtually the same as the D300 I use. However, when shooting sports: http://www.davidcraton.com/skater/airborne.jpg, I am not sure I can get this with a D40x.

Peace and Shalom.

Carlos - Mr Murphy at his best I guess!

Stuart - The same way I choose which jobs need no assistant, one assistant, two assistants, extra pack(s) etc.. For instance I won't shoot a wedding without at least one assistant and backup everything! I know quite a few FT wedding guys that work alone to cut costs -- to me that is very foolish.. You twist your ankle and the client (and your rep) is stuffed..

The question here is weather or not I should buy another D700 –or- continue use an existing D80 body I have that was a backup for my old D2x –or- just rent backup equipment when needed. For me when needed translates to:

Weddings – (Rent backup D700 and assistant and cost into job)

VIP portrait sittings - (Rent backup D700, assistant, makeup artist / hair stylist and cost into job)

For simple ‘lifestyle’ portrait work – it’s hard to justify more than one camera and photographer..

Ditto for most comercial / table-top work..

Don't forget that I have two modern LF (8X10 and 4X5) studio camera systems and a stockpile of film (remember film?) - so that is always an option too. But shooting young kids with the 8X10 is not a good idea LOL..

The more comments I read and think about, the more inclined I am to keep a backup DSLR body -- even if it's a D40. But then again would a D40 or D80 be up to the job of backing up a D700? I think Eric Arnold summed up my feelings when he said “best backup for a d700 is another d700” – I think for my two scenarios above I would still be renting a spare D700 - anyway you look at it.. More to contemplate.. -Mike

Mike -

Good point on the generator...I loved that one! But a lot of studios (including me) have a ups or battery pack for just that situation. (Plus, I typically don't blame a power outage on the business, more on the power company.)

As for a sufficient backup for the D700 - I tend to go the other way... a backup is just that. A backup. It may not be as good as the top performer, but it is good enough to get the job done in a pinch and fill in until the starter comes back.

I think of it like pro sports - NY Yankees as an example - They have Derick Jeter at 3rd and Alex Rodriguez at short - 2 of the best at their positions in baseball. Together they make close to 60 million dollars per year. And the Yankees have a backup for them... He's not as good, and makes the major league minimum salary of $420,000. But he can play some and they will use him if one of the stars goes down. Their other option is to spend another 10 - 20 million on a star from another team to use as backup. Granted the Yankees could do that...but they didn't / haven't because they know the guy they've got for peanuts can fill in for a short period. If one of the stars goes down for a longer period, they can go out and buy someone (a star) for more money.

Same thing with cameras - A D80 / D40 / D70 will fill in for a short period for a D700 - No, they not full frame, but you can adjust to that...After all - we've been doing that for that past 8 years. But they all deliver images that you can sell. If the D700 is down longer, then you can go out and buy a replacement or schedule work around it.

Dave