Forgeting to set my camra to raw

davidsimageline

There are times when it takes too much work to make NEF look like JPG.... it's mostly for sunsets in my

experience... as long as you kept your JPG on max size/quality as you should, that could help. Prices on memory

cards have dropped so at least your JPG quality should be at max as well as size always. There are always

mistakes that can happen, like leaving it at ISO 1600 from the night before and you shoot in daylight the next

day.... ouch. I have done it with ISO-800 from the night before. Usually i keep it at ISO-200 even during

night,so checking ISO is not my first concern. Then not having Autofocus on while you think it is... Always check

your camera while taking pictures you except a lot from -- ISO, focus, exposure...

<br><br>

The picture is pretty, I would increase the foreground/sky ratio, maybe a bit more zoom or less sky

<i>There are times when it takes too much work to make NEF look like JPG</i>

<Br><br>

Either View NX or Capture NX will take the NEFs from the camera and produce <i>exactly</i> the same JPG that the camera would have produced... and it will do it to all of the files in a dump, as a batch, no fuss. But then, you've still got the much-richer NEF to non-destructively edit, should you need to. The whole point of using Nikon's software is that it knows how to precisely mimic the camera's native processing, while still giving you way, way more latitude to work with the image later.

<br><br>

Regardless, when you can get a 4GB card for the cost of a pizza, it may be easier still to just default to RAW+the-best-JPG-the-camera-can-make. It's a couple of key strokes to delete all of the NEF files (or never even copy them off the card in the first place), but if all you have are JPGs, you'll never get back the missing data.

Dave, you might want to wait for another SD card. Adorama seems to have the best deals around. Last week, this card (with a rebate) was $22 (or something very close to that). If you need a compact flash card, those are also a very good price at Adorama. They seem to have rebates about once a month. If you get on their email list, you will be notified of their specials.

http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD8GE3.html?emailprice=t

Is there a setting in say the D300 so that when the camera starts up it's always:

RAW+Normal M,

ISO 200

and whatever else I want as my default?

It also drives me crazy when I find out after about 20 shots that everything is ISO 1600 and Basic S which was

what I was messing around with the day before.

it's your job as the person operating the camera to make sure you check all those settings before getting underway. and i say that as someone who frequently forgets something... i never shoot anything but RAW now, after a similar experience. but i find in general that i'm getting a lot better about it -- and dream that someday, checking everything will just become second nature....