My first payed wedding...impressions...

epes

yesterday was the hardest day of my life as a photographer... I shot my first payed wedding and it was really really

really hard. I had a little over 1000 shots, and probably only 300-400 will prove to be useful. Is this a good ratio?

maybe more experienced photographers could tell. I would be happy with 300. I have to deliver 125 photos.

The ceremony was ok. I previosly shot a few religious ceremonies, so I knew what to expect and how to react. I had

around 200 shots and I believe 150 are usefull.

The formals on the other hand I never shot any, so I only tought how will be. And it was anything but what I thought. It

was very sunny, with harsh shadows and strong light. I did a huge mistake with the arrangement of the group and half

was in the sun half was in the shadow. More, becouse the sun, my lcd was not viewable, so I only noticed the

"tragedy" when it was too late. Now I have to really work in PS, to correct what it can be.

Next step was the "artistic" shots with the groom and bride. 1. With no experience, I wan not very bossy about

posing. 2. They were nervous and really uncomunicative, with really no initiative at all (they would rather left to the

party!). 3. Again, really sunny. So, the results, not so "artistic" shots, with not so great expressions on their faces.

Plus, lots of shots ruined by partialy over or under exposure. I had around 100 shots, and hope that 30 will prove to

be ok. Again, lots of work in PS.

The Party. It was quite ok. I shot ALOT. 700 shots. if 100 are ok, I`ll be glad. Problem was that everything was moving

;) Of course I expected this, but I was not prepared. Lots of shots horible composed. Lots of moments missed

becouse bad focus, wrong zoom, stupid settings (like flash compensation set to 3, and I shot from close distance:

superb background, totaly blown out subject). More, quite boring party. Everything was the same, hour after hour.

People stayed at their tables, little chats, dancing "with calm and honour", no "show". More: when I was around

them, shooting, they ware throwing flames through their eyes, like saying "get lost, we don`t like you here!" Horible!!!,

I almost quit at a moment.

Now, I sit in front of the computer and try to take all my strenghts to start working with my "collection" of shots. I have

a week until I have to show them the shots, so they can choose those 125 contracted pictures. I must have 300 I

say.

What you say about my story? Any advices? Especially about sunny days, with harsh shadows. How to expose? I

will try to find a gallery to link this thread so I can get critics and advices for my "work"

Thank Heavens I`m alive and hope to still be after a week. Next wedding, if any;) will surely be a little better.

Hi,

Any chance we could see some photos?

Sunny days with harsh shodows are hard work - you can make things easier by carefully positioning your subjects (in the shade). Fill flash will also help. In terms of exposing, I would take a reading through your camera of the bride's dress (check that it's not quite overexposed) and the rest should fall into place. It's also a good idea to take a reading from the features or skin of bride/groom to be sure.

It sounds like you need to learn about working with people when it comes to photographing weddings. You mentioned that the couple were nervous and uncommunicative with no initiative at all. That's your job, not theirs! i know that it can be extremely difficult and nerve-racking when you're shooting your first wedding (paid), but like anything else, you have to show that you are confident and calm even when it is the furthest thing from the truth.

Flames in their eyes??? You need to be able to establish relationships with guests during the day to avoid situations like this one. Another solution is to keep your distance with a longer lens!

All the best and please post some shots,

Anthony

Paul--no that isn't a good keeper ratio, but this varies, depending upon shooting style. There may be very experienced photographers that have a high throw away ratio. The difference is, they still know what they are doing.

Do research on the bright sun question. Plenty of previous info on this. Basically you use fill flash. Now you know not to pose people in half sun/half shadow. Most of the rest of your story is about having the experience, and you just don't have the experience yet. I'd try assisting first before taking paying jobs. That way, you can observe how an experienced photographer would handle non-emotive people, etc.

I love it...everyone with a new digital toy thinks they can do weddings. There is SOO much more than just pressing the

shutter. These kind of posts should go in a special forum called "So I Wanted to be a Photographer"

Erdos - you're not alone, and I'm not singling you out, because I have no idea of your photographic experience - but I've

run into so many folks who think that their new DSLR will automatically make magic things occur, simply because they

can see their results immediately.

This is tough stuff - weddings. My wife and I have been doing weddings for more years than I care to count, and until

you're totally prepared (backup?) and comfortable with what goes on at a wedding (not just any wedding -

think 'multicultural'), what the couple really WANTS (note: NOT what you THINK they want or what you like), the

sequence of events, an ability to make people feel comfortable around you and your gear, have really good periferal vision

to catch everything going on around you, and a great sense of timing - all of these things combine to set the stage for a

successful outcome. Not guaranteed, mind you but at least you'll be prepared for anything.

--Rich

thanks to all. first, let me say a thing about the paying morale: I shoot cheap because I have no

experience. I shoot people who anyway, didn`t want photography in the first place. I`m paid only if they

like my work after all.

I`m not the authoritative type of person, but I`ll be better at this in time.

I`ll do research about the sun thing problem. thanks for ideeas, solutions.

I live in romania. photographers here DON`T take assistants. I asked lots of them to let me assist them,

to shoot unconventional angles. they don`t want to. I guess it`s a concurential issue. romania is not like

the states. photo association are just few, artistic type mostly and quite unwellcoming. so forums around

the world and the few photographers friends that I have are my resources. but not even my friends let me

assist them.

I`ll post pictures when all the work is done.

thanks again to all. wait for any other advice you will consider.

<I>"I shoot people who anyway, didn`t want photography in the first place. I`m paid only if they like my work after

all."</I>

<P>

Well I guess that mitigates my concern somewhat, and you are at least not afraid of bearing your soul to learn.

Good luck.

It's good that you don't take yourself too seriously and are willing to be critical.

"Now, I sit in front of the computer and try to take all my strenghts to start working with my "collection" of shots. I have a week until I have to show them the shots, so they can choose those 125 contracted pictures. I must have 300 I say. "

If I were you, based on all the problems you've had I'd really cut the number down dramatically and only show them the best of the best pictures. Well exposed, well-composed and interesting. If that's only 50 photos I think that's better than 100 mediocre with 50 good ones.

Regarding the trouble interacting with the guests I'd encourage you to have the bride and groom introduce you to people and to put down the camera and just chat with them and even eat with them. They will get comfortable with you and understand you are there to do a job.

well, that`s a good advice. my concern was not to miss a shot. but maybe I just felt into the other

extreme, of beeing to present, shooting to much, flashing everything around. so they were iritated, isn`t

it?

now, you see, I`m ambitios. and willing to learn. and I persevere. so, even if next time I`ll do the job at

no cost (except printing, of course), I`ll do it!

again, thanks!

" And what exactly does "pro training" mean?" -RS

It means attending seminars, workshops, conferences from professionals that have some recognized standing in the

field. It can also extend to professional training presentations in the form of books and videos.........I've recommended

several here on the forum which included live and recorded sessions from: David Ziser, Ed Pierce, David Jay, Scott

Kelby and others.

I think I've been pretty consistent in my recommending that "If you're serious about wedding photography then you

need to get pro training, a mentor, apprenticeship, network with local pros, and consider joining PPA and/or

WPPI"......if you're a newcomer to wedding photography.

Personally I try not to take offense when a newcomer seems to feel that the profession and craftsmanship is so

simple that anyone with a new dSLR and an artistic eye can cover one or two weddings and produce images that are

of a professional calibre. I also believe that even established pro photographers should actively engage in obtaining

continuing education throughout their careers regardless of their experience level to stay on top of their game and to

keep abreast with changes in the field.

I attended a training with a pro one year ago. except some technical knowledge and a few shooting

sessions, I gained quite nothing. but now I`m in contact with a photo teacher at the visual arts academy

in my town. maybe this will be better.

With your great attitude toward learning and being honest, you may well fair better than some.

I would work hard to shoot in situations where you have to perform at that pace for practice. In the mean time, push all the areas you find hard and learn to deal with them until you feel at ease.

125 images does not get me through the makeup stage. email me and I will send you a recent link of what I have come to expect from two shooters, from a full days work.

Best, D.

I think the only real training to shoot and shoot a lot.

As I told an intern at our paper one when he asked how I got some cool images, I replied with "Shoot, shoot, shoot and know how to compose."

David, I'll completely disagree with you about "pro" training. I make my entire salary as a photographer (newspaper staffer and my own business) and I have never taken a class in my life. My degree was news writing and I although my work is still young, it's professional.

The advice that I would give you is to shoot, enjoy shooting and learn your own style. No two people shoot the same.

If that's true why would your paper bother to have interns? Surely you could just tell him to "write. write. write, and know how to use syntax."

Perhaps there really isn't any true craftsmanship and skill that comes with photography...people can just pick up a camera and shoot alot and come up with some "cool images". I'll concede that valuing professional training and education puts me in the minority here.

thanks david wegwart. I photograph for about 15 months. I really believe my skills are considerably

better now than one year ago. I just imagine me 20 years from now and a smile appears on my face:

how childish my first photographs were...

about pro training: no one can rediscover the wheel again. so a training is about how to "discover" those

things earlyer and use them wisely. but eventualy, even if no training at all, shooting, shooting, shooting

is in fact training. exept some things you have to understand alone. I do both. david schilling once gave

me some advices and lots of my work improve because of that. I consider that was a little piece of pro

training - for free, of course, thanks david;)...

I just have a little work to do and my work will be done. I will then post a link to the gallery for all of you

to "destroy" me with wise and pro comments...

thanks again to all

hi to all. this is a selection of what I thought to be representative of my wedding. all shots are slightly set up in lightroom. no noise reduction, no sharpening. just exposure settings.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=R6YVZVWL

one point though: now I`m at my father`s house and I see that all shots are way to bright. but when printing them, they look fine in my taste, with enough detail in the sadows and in the highlights.

I shot 1055 shots. I had 768 shots that were ok thechnicaly. I choose 336 shots to show to my clients. the rest are as folow: many are doubles, some are visually unattractive and around 15 are shots for my personal collection but without interest to the client (flowers, arrangements, textures)

What about the groom and guests black suits? I like to see the details in the suit. but I observe that almost all great wedding photographs let the black suit in almost total shadow. this give a lot of contrast to the whole picture. I like that, but also I like to see the details on the suit.

anyway, please be gentle with the critics. plese advise in any way you find usefull. in what I did wrong and in what I should do after fact.

thanks to all!

I have only completed two weddings and did so free of charge ( they paid for the film and printing) as I fully acknowledged my apprentice skills. That being said- I took my husband along ( even less experience) both of us outfitted with two cameras and tripod. We started early in the day- he with the groom and I with the bride. We composed images all day and evening. We were exhausted after both events. The results were pleasing and both newly weds were given all images but then they chose the 'best of the best' and created their own albums. Both couples were on low budgets and could not afford professional photography for their event. That being said, I subsequently joined a PPA ( as a student) and attend quite a few offerings for a couple of years. If anyone thinks really good wedding photography is achieved with this support I would say they are very mistaken. These organizations are invaluable. There are also quite a few books available that can be tremendously valuable. I learned so very much and continue to learn but have decided I DO NOT WANT TO BE A WEDDING PHOTOGRPHER! As with any art form, there is a never ending depth of understanding and knowledge behind the final product or piece(s) of work. Most importantly, I think, while you are very much in the exploratory stage, ( get to know you camera's capabilities- do alot of shooting under a lot of conditions)you should not be charging and should be clear and upfront with the wedding couple about you level of skill and craft- let them decide if theyt want to find a photographer and pay. Best to you in your endeavors