Which Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH to get?

a_y

I am using a sliver MP and would like to get a Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH recently. However, I discovered (too late) that

the Silver Chrome version was discontinued already.

I have done some search and found out that the prices of second hand mint condition silver chrome Summilux 35/1.4

ASPH lenses were the same or even more expensive than a brand new black version.

I feel that a sliver MP with a silver chrome lens looks better than with a black one. However, with the same or even

lesser money, it seems more rational to get a brand new black version.

Please give me some advices. Thank you very much.

Both lenses will take the same picture, the chrome lens will be slightly heavier, so it really works out to your sense of style and what you are willing to pay for that style. My M3 set is all matched chrome while my M6 and M7's and lenses are all black chrome but I certainly would not hesitate to 'mix n match'.

BTW the 135mm 2.8 RF made for the M3 is only in black anyway and I don't ever remember a chrome Noctilux so it really makes no difference. -Dick

There's one for sale on eBay right now and the seller is taking offers. 10-15% off the BIN price should secure

it. The silver chrome ones are heavier because the barrel/rings are made of brass. There are those who say the

brass lenses are "better" than the alloy black ones but I have both and can't discern any difference. You sound

like the black would be a compromise for you so get a silver one and enjoy it.

Some users believe that the chrome version of the 35 1.4 asph is preferred because of the heavier mount. This lens is

known for issues with back focusing which gets worse as you stop down the lens. While this is a characteristic of the asph

design, it doen t appear to be the same in every copy and the chrome versions seem to have fewer problems. The M8

made this easy to see and document . The LUF has several exhaustive threads on the subject. Bottom line is that the

chrome version is preferred. These are available if you search over a period of time .....try the following forums

....rangefinder,getdpi, lecia user forum and fredmiranda. Dealers try camerawest,popflash,photovillage . My advice would

be to not overpay thru one of the collector sites on ebay as they don t approximate fair market value and you can buy for

way better than 10-15% off list .

Here is my understanding of the back focus issue . Film M s have slightly more tolerance for focusing accuracy because the film itself has

depth. The M8 requires a tighter level of camera/lenses calibration to achieve acceptable focusing accuracy. The M8 also is an exceptional

piece of test equipment because you can see the results at high magnification on the screen. Not at all unusual that lenses which have been

excellent with film M s are found to be slightly off with the M8.

The 35/1.4 asph exhibits focus shift . As the lens is stopped down the focus moves back. This is a characteristic of the lens design. Generally

the latitude of the film system and the increasing depth of field is enough to produce acceptable results.

The question of whether the lens focuses correctly is independent of the focus shift but it affects the results. If you have a lens or body

combination that has some tendency to back focus ..then the "focus shift " starts to take the focus point beyond what the depth of field can cover

..you will see the results. It can be offset by being sure that the rangefinder achieves perfect focus at 1.4 and maybe even a little front focus.

If you plan to use the 35/1.4 asph with a film M then this may not be a relevant issue. If it maybe used on an M8 then the chrome version seems

to be favored ..maybe because the calibration is more consistent (but we don t know that).