Rolleiflex 2.8F or Nikon D3 DSLR Dilemma !!!

chuck_t

A friend of mine thinking to get back into photography instead of Nitro RC buggy racing. He had a few Pro Nikon AF

glasses. He likes big prints and he's interesting on the D3 but concerning the depreciation on the camera. Looking

back the history, the D2x was originally cost USD $4499 but now, it is even difficult to sell it for USD $1500 dollars.

He knows that the D300 supercede the D2x in everyway. That's like USD$ 3500 lost within the four years time

frame.

He doesn't like the D700 because it doesn't give a solid feel in his hand plus a dimmer viewfinder and less dynamic

range tested in dpreview.

He wants a Rolleilfex 2.8F. The Ex+ Rolleiflex 2.8F are mostly cheaper than a recent Mamiya 7II on evil bay.

The Fuji rangefinder is another option, but he's an old-timer and he had a hard time looking through small

viewfinder. He preferred to use a Rolleiflex with prism. He also knows that he only shot around 20 rolls of 120 film

within a year, because he had a Rolleiflex before. He calculated the cost of 20 rolls within a year plus lab developing,

the total film cost included the Rolleiflex itself are still far cheaper than the depreciation of D3 after the next four

years time frame.

Of course, I suggested him to buy a Rolleiflex, it's a no brainer, since he had experiences with it, too.

The funny thing is that with a Rolleiflex, he said that he will miss a lot of opportunity with kids or family gathering

shot. That's the reason why he sold the Rolleiflex in a first place. That's the only thing he hated about using old

fashion MF camera, digital or not. He is not impress with 35mm film quality after he saw what the D3 is capable to.

However, buying a D3, he will NOT use enough to justify the cost.

Yeah, he's an old-timer, around 50, that's why he calculated the depreciation against film cost. Young generation

don't do this kind of thinking anymore. :) Tough choice!!!

Cameras are not investments - you use 'em or you don't. If you don't make money with a camera, there is no justification other than personal satisfaction. If you do make money with it, then depreciation is deductable - the more the merrier.

The D300 is going to be cleaner with better color than anything you can put through a Rollei. In terms of resolution, a Rollei has no advantage unless you enlarge beyond 16x20 inches, and then only if you use a tripod and are very careful.

Also, if he is an old timer he probably will not want to carry around a D3 and pro-lens -- it is a heavy S.O.B. I agree with

Edward, he should look at the D300 or reconsider the D700 -- the viewfinder is still quite good (I have the D3 and have used

the D700...the D700 did not strike me as any worse). And I agree with Edward -- no sense in "investing" in a camera. Get

what you want or need...if you want to save money, buy used -- a big chunk of the depreciation will be gone immediately.

<i>"He doesn't like the D700 because it doesn't give a solid feel in his hand plus a dimmer viewfinder and less dynamic range tested in dpreview."</i>

<p>Take this info with a grain of salt.   DP Review more often than not shoots in jpeg rather than raw.   JPG files are 8 bit and dependent on user settings.</p>

<p>With regards to the dimmer viewfinder - was by any chance a zoom lens mounted to the D700?   Try mounting a fast prime and you'll see a surprising difference.</p>

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

Two completely different cameras with two completely useages. The Rollei will only produce a much higher quality image than the D3 if scanned on a HIGH quality scanner, which is expensive! And if you add the prism to the Rollei that will make it about as heavy as the D3 (plus you really need the pistol grip to use the prism comfortably). Of course, as a financial investment Rollei prices tend to only go up since it is a highly collectable camera. So in that sense he will gain instead of lose from his investment. But as regards functionality, the D3 wins hands down. So ultimately it depends on what is more important to him, money or useability.

• 2 weeks later...

actually the cost of a depreciation is added to by post processing of digi and larger hard drives, etc.

There are fantastic deals on film MF. I am shooting with a almost new 501CM Hasselblad and mint 60mm CB. Earlier I picked the camera for $1250, having purchased it with a 80mm CB.

I would definitely suggest some sort of mf solution.