Canon Canonet GIII QL 17 - Meter failure

Hi There,

I hope that this is the correct forum for this post.

I have owned a Canon Canonet GIII QL 17 for quite a few years, but after a long period of without use I would like to

use it again. I bought a Wein cell battery for it and on testing the battery found that the battery test light and

metering no longer work.

Is there anywhere where I can get instructions on how to check where the fault may be and possible fix this myself?

Is is even worth trying to fix myself, or should I sell it on eBay and try to find one that works as a replacement?

If anyone is aware of a location in London (England), where it could be repaired for a reasonable cost I would also

consider this.

Many thanks for your opinions.

I had the same problem with that camera. In mine, I found that the battery wasn't making good contact with the negative prong in the battery holder. I did two things, one was to rough up the surface of the prong with emery paper, the other was to stick a little jeweler's screwdriver under the prong and bend it up slightly so it would make a tighter connection. The meter came back on. The battery check doesn't work, but I never used that anyway.

I've probably written this so many times it's almost a cliche, but don't waste money on the Wein cells. There are some significant reasons why.

#675 zinc air hearing aid batteries work just as well, fit almost as well in the Canonet, are readily available, cheaper and fresher. Wein cells are pretty much just zinc air batteries with a metal collar to bring 'em up to #625 size.

Because Wein cells are overpriced for what you get, they don't move as quickly off the shelves. All zinc air batteries - which is what the Wein cell replacement for the old mercury battery is - have a limited shelf life. They're good for only one to six months, tops, after peeling off the tape over the air vents. Even in storage they're good for only about two or three years. Hearing aid batteries are restocked frequently. They're far more likely to be fresh.

Not to say that your Canonet doesn't need servicing. It's an old camera and the meters do get quirky with age. I've had a GIII QL17 and a couple of Canonet 28's. But the first Wein cell I bought several years ago was dead out of the package. The supplier let me try another. We went through all three in the store - every one of 'em was dead.

Even without a meter the Canonet can still be useful. As long as the shutter works properly, etc., it'll work in manual mode. You can guesstimate exposures or use a separate handheld meter.

The Wein cell, as I recall, is slightly thinner than the original 625 cell .... because the cell slides in edgewise, you might not be getting contact on the thinner cell. Try it with a 625 alkaline cell - not the best for meter accuracy, but at least it will give you a positive check on whether the problem is just making contact with the battery. If that one lights the battery check and makes the needle move, then there are ways to make the Zinc/Air 675 cell fit. One that comes to mind is a neat holder that Jon Goodman ("Interslice", famous for his light seal kits) is now making out of spent 625 shells and offering for sale at a very reasonable price. That will give you good metering and a good fit, without going broke on battery costs.

I've had contact issues and a busted wire on my Canonets, so as others have said look to those issues.

Lex and others, is it possible that there is a delay to the start up of zinc - air Wein cells when they are initiated for

the first time. I have no experience with them. See the page 2 in the zinc air paragraph from the Mike Butkus site. ...

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf ... I quote - ... "After the seal has been removed air gets in the cell

through little holes, the cell is activated and after 1 to 5 minutes the output voltage will be high enough and ready for

use." ...

Just thinking, if you popped open a cell in the store and promptly stuck it into the camera, maybe it hadn't 'fired up'

yet ? Any thoughts/recollections? Just a thought. Jim M.

On the Canonet: if it is not readily corrected by cleaning the contacts of the battery compartment, and insuring good contact, you might want to remove the bottom plate and check the wiring and battery compartment. I had an ussie with the small plastic tabs that hold the electrode to the compartment giving out, and the electrode shorting out on the chassis. A little electrical tape fixed the problem.