Shen-Hao HZX 4X5-IIA Intro-Kit

anna_nielsen

I'm not a portrait photographer but I think you would want something longer, along the lines of a 240mm lens. The

150mm lens on 4x5 is equivalent to a 50mm lens on your 35mm camera. The camera is great-I have one and love it.

You can pick one up used, in fact I don't think I bought any brand new large format gear. Do yourself a favor and

go over here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Well, to start, Badger is a great company to work with. As for the Shen Hao, it is a great camera to use. It was the first

LF camera I bought. I have since sold it, but really had no complaints, it is great for the price. The 4x5 I use now is a

Zone VI, and I prefer it over the Shen Hao because I like longer lenses. The Badger package is nice, the lens is great,

but I agree with the other post, you may like something longer for portraits. There are so many inexpensive used 210mm

lenses out there for sale, you might pick up the camera and look for a longer lens elsewhere. Or if you want to buy new

from Badger, I bet you could ask Badger to put together a kit with a longer lens, they are very helpful. Another good

place that would assemble a great kit is Midwest Photo Exchange.

Another response mentioned the 3x rule to compare 35mm and LF lenses, and I agree, that will get you in the ballpark. I

personally like wider lenses in 35, and longer lenses in 4x5. Probably because 35mm film is a wider format than 4x5, and

the LF film is a bit more sqaure than 35. The formats just look different to me given "equivalent" focal lengths.

I bought this kit from Badger as my entry into LF. I had a similar question about the lens (Rodenstock Sironar-N), and they

were happy to swap it out for the the Sironar-S for the difference in cost between the lenses. I've been very happy with this

set up.

Anna

Its a different world. For my DSLR I like to use a 50 mm f/1.2 On my 4X5 I have been very happy with the look of a f/5.6 lens

The only plus side that I have found is that the f/5.6 lens gives you a much brighter image on the ground glass.

Check out this little app

http://tangentsoft.net/fcalc/

It will let you compare depth of field between the two formats. Its kind of an eye opener.

Michael

Don't go for the kit. It's not a deal. Badger is a great place though.

Buy used gear and save money for film/processing. Watch the listings for gear here and on the largeformat forum. There's tons of used gear and cameras out there and your first camera may not be the one you stick with.

It's not a fantastic deal, but it's not robbing you either. You will at least get everything new and will get everything you need except film and a changing bag (unless you have a dark room). You can get almost everything cheaper if you buy used. I'd check KEH. You probably won't save much money getting a used camera. The lens is another story. For the price of a new lens, you can get a couple used ones. If you're looking to do portraits, I'd suggest either a 180mm or a 210mm. f5.6 is about as wide as you're gonna get for large format lens. Don't forget, DOF decreases with focal length...period (doesn't matter the format).

If you have the opportunity, I'd suggest renting lenses before you buy one (though KEH has a nice return policy, you'll still pay for the shipping).

Also remember, the aspect ratio is completely different with 4x5. I'd suggest to practice composing with a viewing card (piece of mat board with a 4x5 hole cut out). Learn to see 4x5, frame some people with the card. How far the card is from your face is about the focal length you'd want to use.

Cheers and good luck.