• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I have a MBP 17", I travel a lot, it goes everywhere. I run several different screens off it, they all work perfectly. I would probably get a 15" next time but think I will regret it, the 17" is fantastic. For photo use I can't imagine using the matt screen, I paid extra for mine after seeing and using the matt and gloss screens next to each other with the same photo apps and picture libraries. The contrast and the blacks are much much better on the glossy screen, they really don't compare for photo use.

I am currently running CS3 Extended, Lightroom and Aperture on it with a measerly 2GB RAM, 2.16 processor and 120 HD whilst driving displays and I never don't have iTunes on and I have no issues.

Take care, Scott.

As a follow up, today Apple released their new range of laptops, the 17" has been sidestepped and as far as

i can see from the specs the 15" with external monitors is now very much the way to go. Don't know how long the 17" will stay in the lineup, it really is the odd one out now.

Take care, Scott.

Well the new 13" Macbook is out now, and it looks like a pretty sweet deal in terms of its form fit, its graphics etc. 13" is perfect for traveling with a big enough screen to do some work. Unfortunately and the only downer is that they did not include a fire wire port with it, and that can be a hassle.

Well, there is a new line-up of MacBooks. At the moment I also have a HP laptop (4 years old) and I intent to buy a new MB. The 13"

version is the size I'm looking for and the build and design look great to me. Because of my budget I think the 2.0 Ghz MB is the best

buy for me. Maybe one of you could answer this: what does matter for editing of RAW photos with Lightroom 2, PS CS3/4 or Aperture

2: its processor-speed or its RAM? I think about upgrading the RAM of de MB 2.0 Ghz to 4 Gb.

Thank you for your tips!

If you max out the ram, the 9400 will be fine for CS3/4 and LR. Not sure how it will handle Aperture. Did the last generations handle Aperture ok?

Seems to me what would be a good idea though its probably to late now to do a 13 or 12" MacBookPro with FW 800. Or just add one to these new pretty slick Macbooks. Don't know why they removed it when they were included in the last Macbook.

Barry, a lot of folks, me included, are not happy about Apple omitting Firewire from the new MacBook. That forces folks to

go for the MacBook Pro, at a much higher price, even though they may not need all of the other MacBook Pro upgrades. I

had hoped that Apple would put Firewire 800 in the MacBook, but they didn't even leave FW 400. That makes my external

drives, and super fast CF card reader useless if I buy a new MacBook. :o(