Nikon D40 Pic Problems

jeff_gruhlke

First of all, I am not a professional photographer, this is the first camera I have purchased over $200. I'm basically a

point & shoot auto mode picture taker. Bought the D40 about a year ago, LOVED it for the first 6 months, over the

past few I have been having problems with pictures. I own a clothing store and take many pictures of clothing (usually

outside w/ natural sunlight, but sometimes inside). The details on many of these have been coming out horrible! (see

pic links).......real shiny & blurry. I'm wondering if I have a setting on that I shouldn't, or if I accidently have it in a

certain mode.........I use auto-mode which I never had a problem with before. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/180/100.1223598607.724.jpg

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/180/103.1223598611.956.jpg

I can't help but notice that those pictures suffer a lot of JPEG compression artefacts - the result of trying to

squeeze them into too small a data file, which causes loss of detail. It might be just your image hosting service

(in which case it's going to be really difficult to judge what's happening in the camera). On the other hand, it

might actually be the camera's compression setting (which could actually be the root of the problem). If I set my

d40 to "JPEG Basic" quality it looks rather similar to this. Therefore, checking the "image quality" setting on

the second (camera) menu might be a good place to start. Try setting it on "JPEG Fine" if it isn't already.

If this isn't the cause, it would help if you could post a link to a file straight from the camera - not resized

or edited - which will be much easier to examine. (It should contain something called EXIF data which provides

information on how the camera was set).

Hope that helps.