d90 or the d80

david_gililland

Hey im a high school student who needs a good camera for night sport games and i am buying a camera by my self

so im looking for a nice camera around $1000 iv been looking at the D80 and the D90 and no where on anysites talk

about how the night sports shots come out..and i was wondering if you guys could help me

The D90 appears to have a significant advantage at higher ISO than the D80 - if you can afford it, go for it.

Keep in mind you will want/need a fast lens for night sports photography and that could be very expensive (unless you can get by with the 50mm f1.8 or the 85mm f1.8..

you really should give a lot of thought to elliot's suggestion about lenses. yes, the D90 will be superior in situations where you need good low-light performance, but without the proper lens to leverage that advantage, you're liable to be disappointed with the results.

bottom line: even with a D90, you're only halfway there. so get busy checking out lenses, too.

One other thing...I had the d80 and just sold it for the D90.

The D90 is much faster in loading pictures to the screen and the new LCD is amazing! You take the shot and bam its right there. The 1600 ISO is really sharp on the D90 versus so so on the D80 and the D90 has many more menu features like storing picture color profiles, settings, etc...

ISO in the viewfinder! finally! and the metering is much better.

Video is neat, but not well implemented in my opinion by Nikon - it should have been a round dial stop instead of hitting OK on the live view mode. But I dont use video, so whuppteedoo.

Overall a better camera, though I did like the erganomics more on the D80, but the different is tiny.

other than budget, there's very little reason to get a d80 over a d90 right now. if you're trying to shoot sports or action it's a no-brainer, as you get the same level of high ISO performance as a $1700 D300 (plus the same LCD). i'd definitely get a 50/1.8 to start with; at $120 new, you can't lose. you will also probably want a zoom -- if i were you i'd avoid the slow variable aperture kit lenses and get a constant 2.8 aperture lens (budget permitting).

Definitely the D90 for high ISO performance and all the reasons mentioned above. I upgraded from a D70, and the D90 is *lightyears* ahead.

As others have noted, though, you do *not* want the kit lens for sports. (Something you will quickly learn if you're new to photography is that your lenses are *much* more important than the camera). You might consider getting a D90 body and a 50mm f/1.8 lens - that's a great, cheap, fast lens. For about $500, you might consider a used Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

Check local camera stores (real camera stores, not Best Buy, etc) for lenses; you can often find used lenses at locally-owned places for less than you'd pay online (at least that's what I've found). If you find a good local camera store, the people there will be able to help you out as well.

As for shopping online for used stuff, use KEH.com. They're reputable, conservative in grading equipment, and will take returns within 14 days no questions asked. And in shopping for a camera online, be *very* wary of any deal that seems to be too good to be true, especially with something as new as the D90. Buying from B&H, Adorama, Ritz, or Amazon is your best bet; there are many unscrupulous online retailers out there.

Best of luck!

"im a high school student who needs a good camera for night sport games"

There is just one camera for night sports games, D3. I suggest you quit school, forget about collage, get a job and buy it! :)

If not, my other choice would be a D90. I used to shoot with a D80 and the result I get with a D300 at high ISO are 100%

better. The D90 is supposed to be the same as a D300 in a cheaper body. But as everyone is telling you, the camera is

just half of it. You need a fast lens for that! Good luck, Rene'

The D90 would be the better choice due to better performance at high ISO. Get the body only and use the $300 price difference to help fund a lens. For shooting sports at night you really will want a good lens- a used Nikon 80-200 f2.8 D ($500-$700) would offer a lot of performance for the dollar. Add an inexpensive 18-55 zoom for general snapshots.

• 2 weeks later...