Canon G-10 has arrived today!

Jonathan, I agree with you on the Ricoh. I also considered the Sigma DP-1 and the Panasonic DMC-LX3. I use mostly

Canon gear and this will allow my Canon flash and other accessories. Plus I just like Canon. I decided that the new version

processor in the G-10 was important along with the other advances by a major manufacturer, like battery, focus, color, etc.

But the main reason was for the 28mm zoom lens. Here is a shot from today. I've posted 15 images in my folder "G-10".

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=867958 Thanks for any comments and feedback on this new camera. Joe.

Eric, I took a few shots last night at the higher ISO settings and will try to get better examples today. At first glance, the shots appear to

be better than I'd expected. The noise looked more "film-like" or more similar to grain rather than noise. I'm a huge low light shooter, using

a full frame 5D SLR with fast Canon prime lenses for most of my shooting. I'm hoping that I can shoot at 800 or 1600 speed and use the

wide angle lens on the G-10 to hand hold low light shots down to 1/15th sec. I realize that I'll accept more noise than some would, in order

to have a quality point & shoot with me at all times. I'll post some low light / high ISO shots later today to give a better idea.

Joe

For DSLRs I have favored Nikon and I have a D70 and a D200. For P&S, I favor Canon powershots. I have used and spun on to relatives the A80, A95, A620, all very good cameras. I have been using the A650IS. I have been hoping for a Nikon or Canon P&S that would be wider than 35mm. The Nikon P6000 reviews have been pretty crappy. Your Canon G10 photos look darn good. I hope that it will perform well enough to be my take anywhere camera. I am going on a 7 day Danube river cruise in early November and I hope that I can take a G10 along, if it performs well. I do like the A650's abillity to use AA batteries.

Please continue to post photos, Please show us how it works at the wide angle level.

Thanks for the samples, Joe!

Two remarks about the G10 versus the G9 based on your images.

Unless you cropped, corner performance is much improved in the new

28-140 (equiv) lens versus the old 35-210 (equiv).

It might be Quicktime, which according to the EXIF Joe used to downsample(?),

but results are not very sharp.

On the bookshelf, I can't read the library catalog numbers very well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been rather busy but will try to get more shots posted. I'll try to figure out how to post a link to

my gallery of G-10 photos rather than having to click on my name to get there.

I realize that my samples aren't as good as an in depth review, but maybe they'll help someone trying to decide on the G-10 right away.

I tend to print much larger than most folks do from my DSLR or P&S cameras. I also tend to accept more noise. I think that I'll be able

to post process some shots at ISO 800 from the G-10 with very good results, depending on the photo. This will allow me to get some

candid street shots and even indoor shots with a small pocketable (cargo pocket) camera.

It's been awhile since I upgraded from my G-2 but I'm amazed at how accurate the AWB is on the G-10. It's cool to watch it correct

instantly as I move the camera around in mixed light. Now I can convert to B&W as a choice rather than a necessity.

P.S. The ISO 1600 shots are questionable (like ISO 400 on my G-2 which is ancient) and the Hi ISO setting of 3200 is pretty much what

you might expect. Still, one could make a record shot at 3200 speed using the 28mm, f2.8 and 30th sec. with a digital P&S. Maybe not as

good as 3200 T-Max, but more versatile.

Joe

Michael,

Sorry to have taken so long, but here are two samples of the G-10 using macro. Please keep in mind that I've shot these

handheld and that any serious work would achieve better results.

I used P or Program mode, AWB, Auto ISO (200 speed), f4.5 (wide open) at 200th sec.

The zoom was approx. the equivalent to 100mm. The camera will focus with the lens almost touching the subject at the

wide end of the zoom (28mm) which I don't find very usefull. If I zoom out all the way, then camera shake becomes an

issue for handheld shots. (Again, any serious close-up work would require a tripod more than likely.)

I really like the manual focus compared to my old G-2 (much smaller LCD screen than the G-10, although I do miss the

tilt and swivel of the smaller screen). If I were using a tripod and closed the aperture down, using 80 speed ISO, I'd definitely use the

manual focus. Nothing wrong with the auto focus in macro mode, as it works well too.

This is the first camera that I've used with the Face Detect function. Wow! I'm going to love it. My wife noticed that it

focused on a little garden fairy with a face two inches tall, hidden in the garden scene that she shot. I had to try my hand

and sure enough, it'll spot a face in a magazine, on television, on my laptop, etc. Probably not news to most of you, but

it's been 6 years since I upgraded my P&S.

Overall, there are many features that I'm really excited about and will try to relate in the future. I'll be interested to see

how this camera holds up to the experts reviews. My guess is that it will do well. With my old G-2, I've had great results

when using a tripod and closed down the aperture, using a remote release at 50 speed ISO. I'm sure the G-10 will do as

well or better. All the advanced features, including much quicker response times, along with the 28mm wide angle,

makes me happy to have waited for this little gem.

One last note. The samples in my gallery, shot at higher ISO settings, were all handheld and shot at wide angle (28mm)

on P (program) mode which gave me shutter speeds between 1/30th to 1/200th sec. (approx.) and the camera chose

wide open at f2.8. Sorry that I'm not more accurate, but I basically checked to see that I had at least 1/30th sec at 400

speed ISO and figured that any shutter speed faster would work as well. My main reason was to get an idea as to the

amount of noise the G-10 has. So far it's seems to be very good for a compact camera.

Here's the macro shots.

Thanks,

Joe<div>00R8M9-77765684.thumb.jpg.bdec4337b80fd174cfc4e80fc3b566c3.jpg</div>

Thank you very much for your macro demo. ......but one more thing being that my getting one has lots to do with macro capability .....could you shoot a more real world macro, say a small flower with a bit of tissue covering the flash, shot at its smallest aperture. If tissue were not needed that would be outstanding, but my experience with my G5 is that a tissue cover over the built in flash gives me a better result.

I handled one at the store today. The rear LCD is large and has high resolution. I like the idea of a 28mm lens at the wide end. But the camera seemed light and plasticky. Small size can be a virtue but not light weight. I like some inertia in a P&S. I had hoped the body would be metallic.

I will stick with my A650IS for the present. I like that it uses 4 AA batteries (which gives it weight as well as endurance), is much more grippable, and has a flexible LCD. Using Lithium batteries will last me through any conceivable trip.

"seemed light and plasticky" I hate that. Ok, I will use plan 2. A light shoulder bag with my existing 40D and a new Tamron 18mm to 270mm zoom with stabilization. Yeah, 600 bucks for the Tamron lens instead of the G10. Yep, sounds like a plan.

OMG! Sorry to not have checked back, but I've been really busy.

Roger, I've not used a G-9, so I'm not sure if the VF is better or worse. It seems that with all P&S digital cameras, we

might have to settle for small VF rather than none at all. That said, I can live with the G-10 VF, when needed.

Kerry, I don't feel that the G-10 is "light and plasticky". IMHO, the G-10 seems rather heavy for a such a small P&S

camera. When handling it, I know that it isn't a toy, but a real photographic tool. To each his own I guess. If I'm looking for

something more solid, I'll grab my DSLR or film rangefinder. As far as a serious digital P&S, I'm really liking the G-10.

OMG! "Light and plasticky"? Not mine! It feels quite robust and tank like (for a P/S). Pick up a P6000... THAT'S light and

plasticky? GREAT overall image quality, old-school camera-like handling. More than I'd expected and I'm loving it.

Now Mr. Luigi... make me a half-case!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...