Can I use a SB 800 'wirelessly' on a Stroboframe bracket?

pcassity

As long as the sensor on the SB-800 can see the triggering pulses from the controller, it will work. Since, on a bracket, the strobe is above/next-to the camera, the only think likely to make that happen is light reflected back towards the flash from something in front of the camera. Don't forget that the CLS system also introduces just a touch of shutter lag, since the additional communication between the controller and slave(s) takes a split second. You'll also tend to get a few more blinks from subjects with quicker reflexes. If the strobe really is going to be right there a foot away from the camera, the cable's a pretty good option.

If you have one SB-800 in the camera hot shoe working as a commander, and possibly with the Dome Diffuser installed, you will have good reliability in CLS commanding with another SB-800 located nearby on a flash bracket attached to the same camera, indoors.

Besides commanding, afterall the camera must read your remote SB800 on a bracket preflash communications test results reflected off something back to the camera through the lens (iTTL).

Diffuser Dome helps indoors. Outdoors, all depends how you position the remote flash head and the direction of the opical receptor of the flash, as well as the subject location and surrounding.

I Agree with Robert and Simon completely. CLS is the surest way to make a photographer look foolish in

front of clients. IR remote systems like this are completely unreliable in a lot of real world environments. I have tried it and

I wanted it to work as much as anyone, maybe more than Nikon:-) If you want to go wireless off camera, you will be better

served by using Pocket Wizards and putting the flash in Manual or Auto mode. For on camera flash the cord is great and

even better is the one with the built in focus assist light. You can focus in the dark from at least 30 feet with this thing.

Best accessory ever for dark banquet halls.